Chromebook?

Discussion in 'NastyZ28 Gamers & Computer Gurus' started by tom3, Aug 5, 2019.

1. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Thinking about trying a Chromebook for basic net surfing, maybe printing out some stuff I run across, and not much else. Looking for 14 or 15 inch with a touchscreen and keyboard. Like to get away from the Windows crap and go simple. Something pretty cheap. Do these things work ok for that, or just plain garbage? Any make/model suggestions? Processors to stay away from. I do see what seems like real low ram and storage memory on most, problem there? I have a W8 laptop that works just ok, and a W10 desktop that is pretty much a piece of garbage, was real satisfied with Windows 7 but that went the way of a 4 barrel carb I guess.

How about a Chromebook?

2. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My kids have school issued chrome books. They work fine for surfing the net, and doing cloud based stuff. Hard rive size isn't important if you keep it to just that. I have no idea what sizes they are, or the specs on them. They seem to work pretty well.

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Doing some more checking on a Chromebook. Cloud storage, 100g free for two years, then you pay as you go. Had to be a catch to this. Like anything else these days, hook you with free or low price, then they work you over.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Personally, I'd spend just a bit more and buy a full blown laptop with a hard drive inside it. Something like this would come with Windows installed, but you can easily wipe it and install Linux Mint instead. That way you get rid of Windows and never have to mess with or trust Google's cloud for your data and software. Keep it at home on your own computer.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-14-...silver-keyboard-frame/6326270.p?skuId=6326270

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  5. BamaZ28

BamaZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hell, they sell 256GB SD cards for $40 on Amazon these days. That's as big as the actual HD in my HP Laptop I recently bought.

6. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

Don't waste your money on a ChromeBook. You can go to Walmart and get a pretty decent laptop to do what you want for around $300 or so. If you don't want to run Windows which I can understand why, download a copy of Linux Mint for free and install it. It will do everything Windows will do and run better and faster.

7. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I'm on my third laptop, had a Vista, W7, and this Gateway W8, wife is using an HP desktop with W10. If I could get a Windows 7 laptop I'd probably go that way but the new MS stuff is just a pain in the ass. Seems like a Chromebook is the way to go for web use which is about 90 percent of what we do. Still looking, want a touch screen, Intel, fold over, 14 inch or better, not-refurb., good name, for $200 or so.

(don't want much do I)

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

From what I can find, the Chromebook has no hard drive. That means you effectively have a crippled device until it connects to the internet and at that point, Google owns you. They have your data and feed you what they deem suitable for you. I can't live like that.

Microsoft is doing much the same with some of the new computers. They are installing Windows 10S. The S means they own you. You cannot install any of your own software anymore. The 10S machines are locked so you can install only software from the Microsoft application store. Think about that. When was the last time Microsoft gave you anything for free? You can be owned by Google or you can be owned by Microsoft. Neither one is the way to go.

That is why I recommend buying a laptop with its own hard drive, wiping Windows 10S or 10 from it completely, and installing a free Linux version like Linux Mint. Then it is truly free and nobody owns you and your computer. And, you will be amazed at how powerful the machine becomes with Windows gone from it. You don't need a large drive either with Linux as it is 10-20x more efficient than Windows. I have a 240g drive on my desktop with Linux Mint, all my software, and all my data files. Even with all that, the drive is still 90% empty. A 60g drive would be more than I could ever use. My laptop has a 120g drive and it is 80% empty.

Anything a Chromebook can do, a computer with internal hard drive will do faster and better because it isn't relying on an outside connection to function. And, if you buy one with a solid state drive, it runs like the wind instead of waiting for the drive to grind away to find data.

9. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Its hilarious seeing how many of you don't have much experience with a Chromebook bashing them.
    I have used one for all of college and 4 years beyond. I have bought 2 in 7 years(first one I sold because I wanted to 'upgrade').
    Chromebook is probably the best bang for the buck out there. Windows on those lowly laptops is garbage.

@Gary S It is quite clear you have no clue what youre talking about.
    A hard drive will NEVER be as as fast as a solid state, which is what a chromebook comes with. For web surfing the chromebook will destory a windows set up of the same price any day of the week.

My desktop is windows.. it's for gaming. Work and everything else is on the chromebook.

10. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

I suppose it's a moot point, but is trying to give Googe/Alphabet all your data to resell a great idea? Giving them anything not vital might be bad since they're the richest company in the world and became so by selling your data. I'd better not get into their politics.