Citrus green 1970 z28 restoration thread

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Rosster, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

Thanks for the tip! I was able to contact his wife and she found what I needed. Got the spring tags, disc brake shield tags, and steering shaft tag!

2. Rosster

Back from Nashville (fun place btw!) so had a few days of cool weather and got some stuff accomplished on the camaro. Shipped off all the pieces but the subframe to the sandblasters, degreased and blasted a bunch of suspension parts, removed master cylinder and brake lines, etc. was dreading removing subframe bolts as I’ve heard the horror stories of the nut retainers breaking and just spinning (which requires cutting a hole in the floor to access). Luck was on my side and with plenty of days presoaking with pb blaster they came out without much drama. Dropped the subframe with a couple of jacks and now just need to load it in the truck a d take it to the sandblaster. Unfortunately my engine hoist is behind the crate containing my rotisserie so going to have to assemble that first. Another poor planning on my part! I have a ton of parts and brackets to refinish so will be focused on that stuff for awhile so here’s a few pics of current state.

2C88F08D-8428-46EE-B864-C76569E51A5C.jpeg 9721F3EC-5573-4CB0-A9CE-F390D80A40D4.jpeg 4CAA7881-DEDF-49B6-BDC8-43D80D850282.jpeg

biendog likes this.
  3. Rosster

Lot’s of clean up and reorganizing to do once the subframe is gone and I have some room to work. Also was able to verify the radiator is original and only thing missing is the tag. I bought a reproduction one and still need to stamp p/n and date on ot before giving to the radiator shop to re-core.

image.jpg

biendog likes this.
  4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Something you MAY want to consider is if you are having your radiator re-cored to go to a 3 core from the original 2 core. The original CT and IA side tanks can accommodate up to a 3 row core. The appearance difference once back in the car is very hard to tell. Really helps with the cooling.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    biendog likes this.
  5. Rosster

Funny you say that as I’ve been toying with that idea as well! I think you convinced me!

6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Wish I had done rotisserie on mine, really helps the hard to get places, and saves you from laying on your back messing with it!

Rosster and FlaJunkie like this.
  7. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

I second that going to 3 core. The original 4 speed radiator on my car has a 4 core done by a previous owner.

8. Rosster

Subframe back from sandblaster! 2 day turnaround and only $90 too boot! Truthfully it looks way better than I thought it might. But it does highlight that GM must have hired blind people to do the welding! Holy cow! My 4 yr old granddaughter could have done a better job! Only damage is around the mounting bushings. Kinda weird as surrounding rust wasn't bad. Looks like some weld repair before I spray on the 80% gloss epoxy and get back to the body.

7BB5EEC0-D194-41CB-9018-418AC189FB0E.jpeg

biendog likes this.
  9. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are you doing anything about protecting the inside of the subframe?

My guy cut the centers of the mounting holes and welded in new metal washers. He ground all the welds down and filled gaps with body putty. Looked great!

fixed_hole1.jpg Mar_08_004.jpg

10. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

The rear mounts took the most time as I wanted to preserve the original welds as much as possible. The frame section overlaps get in the way a bit. Front subframe - rear mount repair.jpg

FlaJunkie likes this.