Citrus green 1970 z28 restoration thread

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Rosster, Oct 25, 2020.

1. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Spirit In Black

No offense, but I think the before pics look better. More original as far as cast. The after pics look more like silver spray paint to me. However, they do look clean and bright.
    I'm not really one to talk because I went with the polished NOS valve covers on the 73Z because I wanted just a little bling and they are easy to clean. I have another four sets of the finned valve covers that are non-polished. If I stick with a 350 in my 71, I'll just clean up a set and call it a day.

EDIT: added missing word

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  2. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

yeah, the valve-covers need a shinier look to them for sure. They vapor blasted for a few buck extra so was really more interested it seeing if I can get an as new finish if I reskin after this. If not, I’ll just brass wire re-burnish them to bring them back to the “before” look. As to the intake, cast aluminum looks just like this out of the foundry. It’s doesn’t stay that way long due to air oxidiation. Although it looks like paint, molten cast aluminum is shiny silver (for awhile)

3. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

First of all, great project and looking very nice. The above statement though is not wholly correct. Possibly if operating under Part 135 or Part 139, but there is no requirement for GA airports to report Jet A or Avgas fuel sales to the FAA. As a matter of policy, we record it...but we do not report it.

4. Rosster

you may be right. It might have been a baaqmd, carb, or business’ requirment (25 years ago so some details are sketchy) but we were able to quickly ID all planes at the three affected airports that had been filled with the contaminated fuel and ground them pending fuel exchange and engine inspection. Alot of folks got their annuals done for free by us that year!

l16pilot likes this.
  5. Rosster

Rotating assy finished up! Waiting for cam which seems to be on the slow boat to china. I bought the replica of the original cam but decided to go with the 30/30 duntov as it has a little more aggressive idle. While waiting for final parts, decided to address the oil pan. It had pretty decent pitting from rust so required 6x sanding and repriming with hi temp primer to fully fill all the rust divots. Looked like cottage cheese at first but came out pretty nice when done! 61E30238-B479-4FE1-AB34-7A9127446B22.jpeg 1FD9DF6F-50B0-4EF6-9B16-2D41EEA72E1B.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    biendog and peteegger like this.
  6. hwprouty

hwprouty New Member

Love this project!
    I'll get to my '70 RS someday!

Rosster likes this.
  7. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Pan looks good!!!
    I did same on my oil pan , it was a 7 quart, pretty sure it was zinc coated or something like that. But bead blasted , prepped and painted. Its pealing now, probably because of prep issues on my part....I wish I had powder coated it.

8. Rosster

Well about done with shortblock. New 30/30 duntov cam, cloyes roller timing chain, timing cover and pan were all installed and cam degreed, piston to vale clearance checked, and pushrod length checked (need .075” longer so ordered those). I’m using a moroso high press/std volume pump with pressed (and tack welded pickup). Once pushrods arrive I’ll drop on intake, set valve clearance, and button it up. Still need to paint shortbock before installing intake and valve covers.

22E3538F-A897-403B-BB83-DEB36D9DC4A4.jpeg 8D53A931-9E08-4DF6-9854-8AFA608B3ACD.jpeg 152A6D0C-F40C-4AE6-88CF-9D7C9CB749CA.jpeg 0611CCA4-FED3-437C-A0E9-11AFCF0F6736.jpeg 905F7354-F01B-4700-9984-D704548EEF4E.jpeg

peteegger and biendog like this.
  9. Rosster

Had a few days delay waiting for the pushrods and 2k engine paint to arrive. Decided to tackle the distributer rebuilding. I bought a stock original z28 replacement on ebay as the original was long gone and had been replaced with one from a 74 Chevelle 307. The seller had glass beaded everything so you know the bearings and stuff were likely full of abrasive. Upon disassembly I found that the parts had minor wear and the bronze bushings were still like new (And there was glass beads everywhere).

In contrast, the distributor that came out of this 70k mile car was whooped. The flyweight pivot pins were darn near 3/4 of the way warn thru and it’s amazing the flyweights didn’t fall off. The bearings and shaft are significantly worn as well. Luckily, a few pieces that I needed for the new distributor were OK and could be swapped over. Ordered a new vacuum advance cannister which will be in tomorro and then I’ll button it up,and cross this one off the to do list.

DE219202-61F0-4FE1-9740-0BA1F6B4ED35.jpeg

10. Rosster

Once I get the needed distributor shims and the moroso advance kit installed, this will be finished. I learned something new cleaning this up and that that the upper bushing grease well didn’t use grease but actually oil saturated sawdust! I repacked using a high temp synthetic grease that rebuilders recommend.

048DEC68-F34A-4814-8925-C4652E06B221.jpeg