Citrus green 1970 z28 restoration thread

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Rosster, Oct 25, 2020.

1. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Does the look resemble the original anodized aluminum, where they were anodized?

2. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

The originals were die cast then a chemical treatment was applied to prevent corrosion, maintain the shiny look, and prevent oil stains by sealing the pores in the aluminum. Vapor blasting gets them as close to original die cast finish as possible and the dx-501 metal treatment (diluted chromic acid) adds the same treatment that the factory used. There is also a companion (dx-503 iirc) that will actually brighten the metal by depositing a chromium onto the surface but in my opinion is not needed. The treatment is sometimes called “skinning” often referred to by professional restorers but seldom shared. These chemicals have been discontinued by PPG due to the hazardous nature of the ingredients. I know of no substitute available but some stores still stock remaining inventory

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    70lt1z28 likes this.
  3. FlaJunkie

Very good answer.
    There is a local anodizer that will reanodize my aluminum parts. I am taking them to the plater first so they can prep them and do any corrective metalwork. Then off to the anodizer. I am hoping they come out like the original finish.

4. Rosster

I wasn’t aware of any parts that were anodized on the cars back then. Lots of cadmium (some with gold irriditing) and lots of black phosphate. What do I need to send off for anodizing on my restoration?

5. FlaJunkie

I know the kick panel trim is anodized for sure. I also think the headlight trim and the window front and back trim are as well.

But maybe not??? Does anyone know for sure?

6. Rosster

In 1970 the trim is all SS iirc. Later models used chromed plastic

7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

1970 the window trim is Brite-Dipped anodized aluminum, which is not the same as industrial clear sulfuric anodize. Not many folks do Brite-dip anymore due to the chemicals.

One guy that does is Don Barnett:
    Classic Molding Restoration
    1099 N Glendale Ln
    Greenfield, IN 46140

The door threshold is Brite-Dipped along with the exterior trim under the doors.

Rosster likes this.
  8. FlaJunkie

Wow. So the local anodizer would not be doing the same coating to my parts? Hmm. I may have to reconsider using your suggestion.

Rosster likes this.
  9. Rosster

Haven’t posted in awhile due to some unforeseen health issues that are now getting straightened out thank goodness. I've completely stripped the front end off and am now down to removal of the ball joints, springs, and control arms. Those j-clips gave me fits so grinder fixed that. Fenders surprisingly had no bondo hiding rust and look pretty solid. Probably a few small repairs right at the bottom needed though.

Now focused on stripping the subframe. This part of the work is the part I detest the most. Greasy, dirty, and hard to keep the area clean. Finally decided to buy a few 5 x 7 tarps from HF for 3 buck apiece so as any more dirt and grease come off, I’ll just ball it up and throw the whole thing away when done.

I pulled the trigger and bought the redline 3000 rotisserie before steel costs went up (thanks biden!) 700lbs and gear drive mechanism makes it perfect for my use. Hope to incrate it and assemble it soon. Planning to have subframe out from underneath and everything off to the media blaster in a few weeks. Then I’ll get the body mounted on the rotisserie and begin tackling the underside.

76A3FD88-1F1A-4809-A172-CD3843050EED.jpeg E417D156-953A-4728-B81B-3E181ED0D4CB.jpeg 2DEDB799-12DF-4B82-8834-E941E93E68BA.jpeg D92A6BC3-CBBA-4F5B-9B8D-AD6FC9A19FB3.jpeg 7EA049CD-8A04-4304-8F75-9E3417E64276.jpeg 5F1064E9-440F-41A8-96E5-BA6DD1049AB2.jpeg

biendog likes this.
  10. FlaJunkie

I went through the same thing. It's gonna be a trip!

Does your NM car have documentation?