Citrus green 1970 z28 restoration thread

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Rosster, Oct 25, 2020.

1. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Also, hope you are taking a LOT of pictures and keeping track of where every fastener comes from...

Rosster likes this.
  2. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Agree with FlaJunkie, take lots of pictures, videos, and buy a box of ziplocks and magic marker. Box bags of bolts according to area of car they are from. Otherwise you will never remember where anything goes. I did this and still had issues finding things. My bags and boxes have been moved around from 5 years of work, at the end im sure ill have a lot of left over bolts and screws. I recently bought the entire interior fastener kit. They aren't exactly like factory fasteners if that matters to you.

FlaJunkie likes this.
  3. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

Yeah, protectoplate, warranty card, and original owners manual w/dealer plastic folder. I’ve been in comtact with the original owner, 2nd owner! 3rd owner (I’m 4th). Everything was original on the car except the carb and exhaust (I have the original manifolds a d stove choke). Also smog is long gone. Other than that it’s all original and complete

biendog likes this.
  4. Rosster

On my 3rd box of ziplocks- wife’s pissed (haha). I’ve done two 70 restorations before but that was 30+ years ago so pics for everything and bagging everything!

biendog, giggity and FlaJunkie like this.
  5. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My smog is long gone too. Good riddance!
    Do you have the tire warranty manual?

giggity likes this.
  6. Rosster

Well tackled the coil spring removal today. Always a little anxiety doing this type of work. I took my time and thought everything through cautiously. Luckily I had a quality spring compressor, used tons of anti-seize on the threads, and chained the springs down to the frame so in case the spring compressor suddenly failed, the spring wouldn’t shoot thru the wall and into my neighbor’s house. All went well. Tomorrow I’ll pull the A-arms, scrape all the dirt and degrease the parts, and get it all ready to eventually go to the sandblasters. Both springs still had the blue parts tag but the p/n was illegible. Any ideas on who sells reproductions?

60884A3C-737B-4CA9-86A5-5CA831C34452.jpeg F8458892-F419-4186-BB7C-9E869E6527D6.jpeg

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    biendog likes this.
  7. Rosster

yeah, wish I still had the smog as it’s the only thing missing. My first 70 z28 actually had the dealer installed header option (sanderson made them iirc). They had smog fittings welded in the tubes. It had the cast iron manifolds in the trunk.

8. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I got my EJ tags from Bob Cardillo (camarocards on eBay) but he passed away a few months ago. RIP. In my research, he was about the best at those. He also made the CR disc brake dust shield labels and an awesome oil filter. Next up and a very close second would be Don Lightfoot.

https://www.angelfire.com/rock/69ss/decals02.html

Much better than anything from the big vendors IMO.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Rosster likes this.
  9. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

10. Rosster

Thanks! As I also read the 178 is a great cam and I actually bought a replacement 178 as well to put on the shelf and keep with the car. But on this project, I wanted something with a slightly more lumpy idle than the 178 provides. TBH in my last 70 Z I ran a crane 300h which had a nice lumpy idle and ran great but that cam is no longer made and since there were two versions (and I didn’t know which one I bought), I didn’t want to gamble and get the wrong one.

biendog likes this.