CL Wheel Question

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by Zclassic, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Zclassic

Zclassic Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Has anyone seen a 14x7 CL wheel dated before April of 70? A wheel dealer I have known for many years, and who finds these for me, dropped a tidbit of info on me over the weekend at a swap meet. He says CL wheels didn't come on Camaro's until May and were XT's on 2nd gens equipped with them built from January thru April. Now, this is news to me so if a CL wheel exists with a date before April that could shoot his theory full of holes. I know nothing of what happened on the Pontiac side of things so that would have to be considered. I can see a wheel produced in April being on a May and later built car. A true tale confirmation would be from an original owner who knows the wheels on their original car.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

My car is an April car and it had CL wheels on it when I picked it up new in April. The CL wheels were available long before April. They were used on other GM cars besides Camaro so they were likely available in August 1969.

3. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

I ordered my car in February with these wheels and after a lengthy delay, the dealer said they weren't available so I wound up with regular wheel covers. The car was delivered in late April so who knows what the true story was.

4. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

20201126_100545.jpg
    I have 5 CL wheels dated March 6th 1970 I purchased for my 03C 1970 L78. Not original to the car. They are Norris industry wheels based on the T10. Common on vanuys built cars. K10 Would be kelsey hays wheels common on Norwood cars. There probably are earlier dated wheels. Im sure there are earlier built cars that would of had them.

Zclassic likes this.
  5. Gary S

Those wheels could be the wheels from my car that I sold a number of years ago. Mine were coded T10 3 6 CL.

6. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gary, This is what my wheels looked like when I purchased them.

Attached Files:

7. Gary S

Those couldn't be mine. Mine were originally yellow and had black rattlecan paint over the yellow.
    It is interesting that mine had the same codes. Likely from the same batch.

8. Zclassic

Ok, so this is a telling scenario if you believe they couldn't provide the CL wheel when you ordered your car in February. Is it a Norwwod or LA built car? Did you end up with 14x6's?

9. Gary S

I ordered my LA built car in February, and there was never an issue with getting the CL wheels it was supposed to have as part of the SS package. I guess it is possible that GM came up short on them at Norwood, but the west side of the country had them available.

10. Zclassic

Is it your opinion all 2nd gen's has CL's on them if equipped with a 14x7? Don't know anything with the XT's and their placement.