Clamshell motor mount removal

Elliott Taylor

Veteran Member
Nov 24, 2020
I know this has been asked on here before, but do any of you guys have a trick to remove the motor mounts from the frame on a 2nd gen camaro?

The 3 bolts that hold the hold to the frame are easily accessible from the top, but very hard to get to from underneath.

I can see them from underneath around where the lower control arm mounts, but how in the world do you get to them? And what type of wrench do you need ?

Thanks

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
As Doug says above, remove LCA. I did mine by using u-joint sockets and "custom bent" wrenches, but considering the time, swearing and misery, I should have dropped the LCA.

Elliott Taylor

Veteran Member
Nov 24, 2020
Considering I don't remove the LCA, I "should" theoretically be able to get a socket on these from underneath? How about crows foot?

DougD

Veteran Member
Dec 2, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Considering I don't remove the LCA, I "should" theoretically be able to get a socket on these from underneath? How about crows foot?

U-joint will be your friend. Just make sure it's not a floppy one, use a good tight one. And to reinstall, dab a little grease on it to hold the bolt as you put it back up and in.

Elliott Taylor

Veteran Member
Nov 24, 2020
I have plenty of u joints and extensions. Harbor freight has a set of crow feet for like $12, and I think that will help.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Distributor wrench.

If you want to make installation easier... Use fishing line or craft wire around the bolt threads to pull them up through the frame and put the nuts on top.
You can usually hit them with an impact wrench and they will tighten nicely with no wrench required inside the frame.

Elliott Taylor

Veteran Member
Nov 24, 2020
Wow that's a fantastic idea about the fishing line. Thanks a lot, that will help with re-installation. I want to make sure I can gain access to them from under the car.

TTR230

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2020
Burlington, Ontario
I remember when the box style reciever hitches first came out and before a lot of cars came pre-drilled and threaded for them, the hitches came with nuts that had a piece of coat hanger brazed to them. That way you could fish the nut into where they had to go, you gave it a blast with an impact and you broke the wire off for a clean install. Worked great, and I have used that idea a bunch of times on finicky chassis fasteners.

I'm having a hard time picturing this situation so I don't know if it applies, maybe on reinstall, but it's a handy idea.

Last edited:

Latest posts