Clamshell motor mount removal

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Elliott Taylor, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Elliott Taylor

Elliott Taylor Member

You're correct, it's very close. I actually did grind a little off yesterday, and they got really close. I was just afraid to go too far with the grinder.

I almost think l could try installing them on the bushings with the long bolt first, and then install the mounts on the motor. I dunno. What do you think ?

Also, are the clamshell mounts with the bushings left and right specific ? Im almost positive l installed them exactly like I took them off, but lve done so much in the past few days I'm even sure now.

With it being so close, l feel like your idea is very good.

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The sbc clamshell mounts I've seen are not specific to either side.
    They should have 4 holes for mounting to the frame and the lower, foward hole isn't used.

You might be able to slip the engine side mount past the tabs if you just loosen the bolts holding the mount to the engine.
    But getting them tight again may be difficult because access is very limited there.

A little more grinding might work too.
    Those tabs are pretty sturdy and narrowing them 1/16" shouldn't hurt anything.
    I would grind on the drivers side as the engine tends to lift on that side under torque.

3. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

Man, it's so close.
    Try using an alignment bar/lady foot...
    Push it through the engine bracket hole on an angle towards the bolt hole on the clamshell and push the alignment bar down...

4. Elliott Taylor

Elliott Taylor Member

Good suggestion. If the bar does pull the mount closer, won't l have to pull the bar out before the two mate together? Right now l have the trans connected. Should l unhook it ?

5. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

You shouldn't have to unhook the Trans.

The goal is to reach the tip of the alignment bar inside the clamshell bolt hole, once the tip is in (even just a little bit) it should give you the leverage required to pry down the engine a little bit to pass the tabs on the clamshell. You can also leave the alignment bar there until you're ready to install the through bolt. Do the same technique on the other side...hope this makes sense, good luck.

6. Elliott Taylor

Elliott Taylor Member

My buddy and I "almost" got the mounts aligned tonight. I did a little grinding on the mounts as mentioned above. I got one bolt in, but the driver's side is STILL about 1/8" at most off at the rear/side towards the rear of the car. I don't have an alignment bar, but that might just do it. It's slo freaking close. It has to go in right??

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If they are the same mounts... It HAS to fit.

If you bought “Performance” mounts from Autozone... They WON’T fit.
    (Myself and several other members have earned that T-shirt. :mad: )

8. Elliott Taylor

Elliott Taylor Member

same mounts with new poly bushings from summit. I'll just have to keep trying new things. Thanks for the help

9. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member Gold Member

Did you notice when struggling to tighten the bolts of the frame side of the motor mounts there was play in the holes for the bolts? Sorry to say you will need to loosen all of them, get the clamshell mounts bolted up AND leave everything loose till you are sure the rear trans mount lines up properly on the crossmember.

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

Dont be gentle. If you have one bolt in, get a good pry point on the other mount. Pry on it, yank the motor up/down, bacl/forth by hand until it drops in. Make you have enough of the trans weight supported or balanced so it isnt causing a bind of some sort.