Clamshell motor mount removal

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Elliott Taylor, Feb 26, 2021.

1. K1ng0011

K1ng0011 Veteran Member

Probably to late but I used a "L" shaped distributor wrench to remove the bolts from within my frame I did not remove the lower control arm

2. Elliott Taylor

Elliott Taylor Member

Me and my buddy thought about that. When we installed them to the cross member, we had no play so we tightened them down pretty good. As it stands right now, the passenger side is in, and the driver side is off buy a few millimeters to get the bolt in. If I could pry down under rear of that mount just a little bit I could get it. The other thing I thought about doing is dropping the transmission from the crossmember to get it to drop just a teeny bit. It almost goes through right now

3. Elliott Taylor

Elliott Taylor Member

The transmission is mounted up to the motor all the way back to the crossmember as of now, so I shouldn't have any binding there. If I could just pry down on the rear of the driver side mount a few millimeters it would fit. I don't have anything at home that I can use that will fit in that hole to give me enough Leverage. Someone on here yesterday mentioned alignment bar, which maybe I'll have to pick up

4. biker

biker Veteran Member

If the trans is still loose from the crossmember, grab the tail stock of the trans and wrangle it back and forth til the motor drops in.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

^+1

I never bolt the transmission to the engine until it's sitting down on the motor mounts.
    (I won't swap an engine/trans in or out together any more.)

6. Ihada70Z28B4

Ihada70Z28B4 Veteran Member

I always cut them off, either with the torch or a cut off wheel.

7. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Don't forget to paint your control arms while you got em there.

Seabeeamie likes this.
  8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

This procedure requires a sort of Zen kinda thing. Close your eyes and feel the Boltage. Be the bolt, and the nut. Deep breath and release. The part where you get one side is only the beginning. When you finally get both M/M to the sub frame. The alignment for the main cross bolts that tie the whole deal together is another step in the process. If you can just get one in you got it made. Right? The other side seems so far off. I have been there many times. Assuming that the engine is bolted to the trans and all else is lined up. Try starting the engine and use the torque to force the M/M to go in place. You know, step on the brake and put it in gear. Depending on which side you got. Drive or reverse. Manual is almost the same but the E-brake helps to hold. Just a thing that has worked for me.

9. Seabeeamie

Seabeeamie Member

Done.

Attached Files:

budro6968 likes this.
  10. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Nice work.