Clamshell motor mount removal

jamieg285

Veteran Member
Jul 15, 2004
Luton, England
Hard to be sure from the pic, but it looks like the drivers side insert might be upside down. To me it looks like the metal tabs are different widths and you have the narrow tab at the bottom. I wonder if was the other way up you wouldn't have a clearance issue?

hd_cat

Veteran Member
Sep 6, 2013
United States
I know this has been asked on here before, but do any of you guys have a trick to remove the motor mounts from the frame on a 2nd gen camaro?

The 3 bolts that hold the hold to the frame are easily accessible from the top, but very hard to get to from underneath.

I can see them from underneath around where the lower control arm mounts, but how in the world do you get to them? And what type of wrench do you need ?

Thanks
Agree with DougD, flashlight, socket extensions and patience, I did ours about a year ago when replacing the isolators with Energy Suspension Urethane. I separated the halves, installed the new isolators and bolted them back into place. The photo shows the red urethane isolators in place, note the tab orientation of the isolators
IMG_1979.jpg

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Agree with DougD, flashlight, socket extensions and patience, I did ours about a year ago when replacing the isolators with Energy Suspension Urethane. I separated the halves, installed the new isolators and bolted them back into place. The photo shows the red urethane isolators in place, note the tab orientation of the isolators
View attachment 114916
Exact same thing I did, but mine dropped right back in. But as Terry said, I've never done it with trans attached.

Elliott Taylor

Veteran Member
Nov 24, 2020
View attachment 114916
That's exactly the orientation I put mine in, so I know that much is correct. I'm out of town, but will be back tomorrow, and intend to get the driver's side mount bolt in.

Jodi

Veteran Member
May 22, 2019
Hard to be sure from the pic, but it looks like the drivers side insert might be upside down. To me it looks like the metal tabs are different widths and you have the narrow tab at the bottom. I wonder if was the other way up you wouldn't have a clearance issue?

As per Energy Suspension instruction sheet (Step-2)that's the correct orientation.
Wider tab positioned near the clamshell's top bolt hole which is the holes wider apart from each other.

upload_2021-3-5_17-12-35.png

Picture of mine...wide tabs on top also.

I don't remember having a hard time lining everything up though, I did use a lady foot bar to line the bolt holes up but went in pretty easy...maybe its all the extra weight of the BBC.
Had such a wonderful time mounting the clamshell to the crossmember that I decided to drill the fourth hole and install the fourth bolt. LOL

Engine Bay.jpg
H

Elliott Taylor

Veteran Member
Nov 24, 2020
Hey guys, just thought I'd give you an update on my motor mounts. I finally got the driver side in yesterday. Me and my buddy use a ratcheting C-clamp to get it all the way down so we can get the bolt through.

Just thought I'd let you know in case someone else runs across this issue. This worked pretty well. Anyways, thanks for all the help you guys have given!

Latest posts