Classic car prices- is this just Ontario or everywhere?

Discussion in 'Canadian Owners' started by Eric, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Eric

Eric Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

WTF is with sellers in Ontario thinking a 1985 Cadillac ElDorado with 135k on the odometer is a $15,000 car?

Or far too many 1980s g-bodies that aren't totally rusted out being priced at $12,500.00 ?

One of my favorites of late is a 1968 Corvette that had a "frame off restoration a year go" before it was apparently backed into by a tow truck against something else- the only panels that might not be completely destroyed are the t-tops. So, you get a VIN, and if you're lucky a driveline and set of t-tops- for the incredibly low price of 'only' $15k.

The 2nd Gen f-bodies don't seem to be quite as bad, but I have seen a few good examples of ridiculous (i.e. an '81 Z28 (auto trans) listed at $30k (and note, no buyers the last 30 days).

Of course, none of these cars are selling- but what are these sellers thinking? Just because something is 30-40 years old doesn't mean it's worth gold. I do notice that things in good condition and priced fairly tend to disappear within 24 hours, except below $5k where it seems most buyers are assuming the vehicle is a POS or it would be priced at the ridiculous levels mentioned.

Years ago, people were commenting on Barret-Jackson giving people the idea that 'every' 1970s Nova was worth a minimum of $20k, but I don't think we can blame the auctions for people pricing what are often undesirable models or something that isn't anywhere close to 'mint' being $10,000+ vehicles- are people just increasingly on crack these days?

2. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

People are on crack AND think they've got gold. A lethal combination. o_O
    Same thing is going on in Texas.

3. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

The attractive side of people ... Greed.

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

5. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Nice to see those prices if you own a classic but discouraging for those of us, myself included, who aspire to own a first or early second gen, Camaro one more time before we die.

6. Eric

Eric Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That guy/place had a TV show for awhile, and seems to market to only higher-end (i.e. super rich) collector-type peoples. I can see some of the cars, especially ones that have been completely frame-off resto'd costing some money, but what I find interesting is that many of the vehicles listed on the website are so expensive, they don't even post a price. And, that may be part of the problem, if people are always seeing these sorts of 'collector' vehicles selling to the "1%" for $40, $50, $150k- suddenly that 4-door, 6-cylinder hoopty from 1982 that granddad bought new is somehow worth $20k.

It does beg the question of all these cars that aren't selling- I don't see alot of the overpriced items being relisted at lower prices until they sell- do these sellers just continue sitting on them waiting for the day when it might be worth what they think it should be worth? I have seen some sellers listing the same car at the same price for years and it never moves.

7. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

two words: TAX (refund) TIME!

8. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

Good point. I'm going to have to remember that when the day comes that I need to sell.

351maverick likes this.
  9. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

The price is probably in Canadian dollars. (The Loonie.) I used to ship American cars to Australia and we usually made a pretty decent profit. "Yanktanks" often have a draw as American cars have better styling, or did years ago, than Aussie models. I drove a '61 Valiant in high school. That body style was updated in '63 and the tooling went to Oz and was built until the late 60's. I imagine the sellers figure the American iron is worth more. It doesn't say they actually SELL it, just it's worth more. I always figure it's worth what someone will pay.

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

$1.00 CAD = $0.74 USD