Clean 70 Z

1970_Z28_503

Veteran Member
Apr 12, 2017
Oregon
Went and looked at this car the other day as its 10 min from me and wow it sure is nice. The documentation this car has with it is second to none. Binders of maintenance records, protrector plate, window sticker, build sheet and he even had the big dealer order book showing all the options and colors available in 1970.

Sad news is they just now figured out the block was a CE replacement. The Owner never bothered to look at the tag in all the years he had it. I couldn't imagine thinking it was a pure numbers match car all those years only to find out when you finally sell it that its not, must feel like a kick in the junk..

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/6094205649.html

If it wasn't for the CE engine block this California car would be crossing the stage at a major auction IMHO.. Still had the correct Carb,intake on CE block and looked like another box of parts were there also..

BillyDean7173

Psychopathy Red
May 21, 2014
Hutto, TX
Beautiful car and incredible documentation.
"This Original Z28 is a car to be used as a template to assist other enthusiasts, Museums and Judging at Concours car events."
I'm not too sure about this statement from the dealer. I'm still learning and not an expert by any stretch, but there's a few things I noticed.
Headers?
No wire clips on the valve covers? Maybe in box.
No deluxe door panels?

Does the price seem a bit high for NOM? Really nice in any case and I love that gold paint.

1970_Z28_503

Veteran Member
Apr 12, 2017
Oregon
I saw the OEM exhaust manifolds in the parts box. I also saw a lot of the smog equipment in that box. I didn't pull everything out and check numbers but it certainly looked right. Sad that the CE block cost the car so much but other then that I was impressed with what I saw and think the documentation offsets some of the NOM block. Im pretty new to the 2 nd gens as well, but if I had I not just bought my own 70Z I might have stepped up to this one.

BillyDean7173

Psychopathy Red
May 21, 2014
Hutto, TX
Yeah, I probably came across as nit-picking. I have no room to talk and it's better than what I have. Even with the CE block, that is a sweet car. I would be proud to own it.

wnmech

Veteran Member
Jul 20, 2014
grand prairie tx.
Beautiful car. It's like FlaJunkie mentioned guys were tearing up these muscle cars like there was no tomorrow. But GM sure replaced A lot of engines under warranty with the CE engines. In fact my 71 RS/Z28 has the CE engine and I had a post sometime back on how to determine the engine date and mine was replaced under the assumed covered period.