Clear tail lights.

Discussion in 'Rader Classics' started by Lrader99, Dec 13, 2012.

Any interested in clear tail lights/ side marker lights for '70-'73

Poll closed Jan 12, 2013.
  1. I am interested in this

19.6%
  2. I am not interested

25.5%
  3. I would like to see pictures before deciding

56.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

2. Lrader99

Lrader99 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. Lrader99

Ok, I just checked on the order with fedex's website. Everything should be here Thursday which means the first molds can be released on Saturday...As I have to pour two halves of a mold and both halves take 18 hours to cure before demolding. So Saturday afternoon I will have product to show all of you.:)

4. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That should give u a general idea of what it would look like. The third gen lights are taller and not as wide as our late second gen lights. An early 70-73 camaros lights wouldnt be so in your face as the later years.

5. Lrader99

Thanks, for helping everyone else to see what they could possibly look like. I already had a good idea of what the finished product would look like but I know some people are not as visually orientated so this link could help some of those people get a rough idea before a product is actually released.

6. 77thor

77thor Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

IMO, clear tail lights are ricey... but I am 'old-school'...

7. Lrader99

Thanks for your opinion. I agree that on some cars and against certain colors clear lenses can look out of place. Euro lenses IMO almost always look out of place.

8. Lrader99

To recap here is a small list of lenses correctly slated for reproduction in clear and or tinted:

Clear (a water clear resin is used to cast the definition of the original part, these lights will NOT be a euro style)
    Tinted(a color dye added to the clear)

Camaro:
    *70-77 Side markers (clear)
    *70-73 Tail lights (clear, tinted)
    *78-81 side markers (clear)
    78-81 Tail lights (clear, tinted)

C10-C30
    *70-72 cab lights (clear, tinted)

* Will also be reproducing the housings for these lenses

I have no intention nor do I ever intend to reproduce these lights in a euro style

Color bulbs or LED's will be required when using clear or tinted lenses

9. Lrader99

...Well, bad news. Got my order today and before I got ready to pour the first side of the mold I decided to measure the volume of the space. The top side of the mold is 22 cubic inches...I poured water in the mold and removed the lens. The lens displaced 8.2 cubic inches which leaves 13.8 cubic inches of volume needed to fill the top side of the mold. The bottom side needs that same 8.2 cubic inches plus another calculated 4 cubic inches for mold stability. Which gives me a total of 26 cubic inches of required mold fill volume. I only ordered 1 lb which is 21 cubic inches. When I made the order I knew it would be close but as I had no molding putty I had no ability to make a mold and accurately calculate volume. I will put in another order but being so close to Christmas I don't expect to get it before next Saturday at minimum.

I also found that they had not given me the mold release I requested instead I got a similar product. The product I requested was purely to prevent the two mold haves from sticking to each other and the product that was sent is a mold release agent which prevents the cast parts from sticking to the mold. Just another snafu.

On a side note I have started calculating mold volumes and estimated fill volumes for some products to more accurately give pricing.

To give better information I still need 78-81 side markers and lenses from someone to cast molds off of.

10. Lrader99

I started the modifications to my tail light housings to cast them. I am getting rid of the flat spot on the bottom where the light socket is as these housings will only be for our LED system. I am also squaring up the back a little and adding in the mounting system for the LED boards inside the housings. I will also be changing the resin product. Originally these housings were some sort of resin mixed with what seems like fiberglass. The housings are susceptible to warpage due to heat (laid one near a hot burner and the entire back side of one blistered and you could see the "fiberglass" strand.

The new housings will be cast in a black rigid urethane much like many modern automotive parts. The insides of the housings will then be treated with a silver tinning agent to give the chrome appearance of many modern exterior lights.

Housings will be available for sale to people who have not purchased the proper LED system but there will be no effort made to provide a light socket hole as this is not what the housings were designed for.

If you would like your housings refinished on the inside in "chrome" to better reflect the light given off by your bulbs then send me a PM and we can discuss these services.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.