Clever location for trunk battery disconnect?

Burnttoastburgos

Veteran Member
Jan 22, 2019
Colorado
Looking for different ideas as to a clever location for master battery disconnect switch. Battery will be in the trunk but would like thoughts for a semi easy access for disconnect switch. Under passenger seat, behind wheel well, behind license plate? Thoughts or ideas?

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
If your plans are to race the Camaro at a dragstrip or any other racing sanctioning body . The disconnect must be wired in such a way that it can kill all electrical power at 3k rpm . This means you've got to run the alternator hot wire to the disconnect

Also the battery disconnect must be placed at the Rear of the Camaro such as the tail panel , bumper or tail light lens . Also clearly marked with the words batt disconnect and direction to turn switchb off

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
Like Chuck said - depends on your intentions. If you're racing, and to be certified, it has to be outside and marked. Otherwise a cutoff inside the trunk or in a hidden location adds another level of theft deterrence. Don't forget the KISS principle.

Burnttoastburgos

Veteran Member
Jan 22, 2019
Colorado
my fault for not stating that...not for racing at track. Strictly for road and enjoyment. Trying to eliminate any upcoming slow battery drains. Its just a sbc with sniper, so limited electronics but the car will sit as its not a daily driver. Added benefit is a theft deterrent when out at events, parking lots and such. Car is stored inside at home shop, with a tender connected.

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
Cheap and simple.

1669131440804.png

larrylarry

Veteran Member
Dec 22, 2011
San Antonio Tx
I’ve been using this guillotine style switch for years now. Quick & easy. Inside the trunk.

Attachments

• D9C58D84-EDD5-4F31-91A4-EEED43F7FF35.jpeg
    D9C58D84-EDD5-4F31-91A4-EEED43F7FF35.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 31

Burnttoastburgos

Veteran Member
Jan 22, 2019
Colorado
I’ve been using this guillotine style switch for years now. Quick & easy. Inside the trunk.
little bit too much positive exposure for my taste. Im not the most graceful individual...but seems effective. This is Flaming River (or similar) is what im looking to go with, just looking for clever spots to put it. I like the idea it has a key. Im not married to the idea of a "keyed" disconnect, pending location, this could be a pain in the butt to access. I could use in trunk and build a box to hide the bottom side but was trying to think of a inconspicuous spot. My 68 GTX has it in the front fenderwell, no issues yet. The Camaro I want to locate battery on the trunk.

1669150047566.png

Latest posts