Clutch recommendations for a 2005 LQ4 Swap

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Jack Deibel, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Jack Deibel

Jack Deibel Jack

Looking for thoughts on a clutch kit and flywheel.. I'm guessing between 450-500 HP based on the research I have done... TKX is the transmission.. I'm looking for easy street friendly manners that I will run through gears for fun occasionally...

Thoughts on a twin? Summit was pushing this one..

Summit Racing SUM-700901 Summit Racing® Pro Twin Clutch Kits | Summit Racing

Or should something like this be more friendly on the left leg? My wife wants to drive this..

GM LS7 Clutch & Flywheel Package for ALL LSx Applications - Tick Performance, Inc.

2. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

I have heard those summit racing twins are pretty nice.

3. Jack Deibel

Jack Deibel Jack

good to know! thanks..

4. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

I've used the LS7 setup on a couple LS swaps and they worked well. RWHP on the LS1 was 385. The LS3 was 425 RWHP. I used a 2002 Fbody slave. Get a speed bleeder from a vendor like Tick.

Jack Deibel likes this.
  5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I will never use a single disc again for a performance application. Twin is the way to go!

6. Jack Deibel

Jack Deibel Jack

How is the street manors on your twin? How does the leg pressure compare to a stock clutch? Any chatter?

7. badazz81z28

It comes down to surface area. With a single disc, there is a certain amount of surface are. When you need a clutch for performance use, you need it to hold. With a single clutch, this is done with more plate pressure and aggressive clutch material. You end up with a clutch with a heavy pedal, aggressive engagement and in a lot of cases noise.

With a twin, you have more friction area. Because of this, it uses less aggressive clutch material and less plate pressure. You can have a clutch that will hold 800-1000hp and operate like a OE clutch. With my McLeod RXT, it drives like a low performance stock clutch.
    When I had a Monster stage 2 and a puck stage 3, it was aggressive like a on-off switch, made noise. The pedal pressure wasn’t that bad, but the RXT is way better.

8. Jack Deibel

Jack Deibel Jack

Thank you! This was the insight I was hoping for... Someone who has experience with both.. I really want to something the wife can get in and drive without any issues.. I was thinking summits version "Pro Twin Disk Clutch with Billet Steel Flywheel and Organic disks rated at 700 Ft./Lbs." Might be a good option at 800 bucks...

Do you get any rattling with the middle disk??

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  9. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

You will hear some rattle in neutral with the clutch released but it's not much.

10. badazz81z28

Rattling? Absolutely not. If your clutch makes noise in neutral, something ain’t right.