Clutch replacement

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Misspent youth, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Misspent youth

Misspent youth New Member

Ok I'm fairly transmision ignorant. That being said, my car needs a new pilot bearing I believe; kicks out of gear when coasting, grinds occasionally when in reverse and clutch is in.
    How hard is this to do? Trans in Super T-10. Am I better off farming it out? Price range?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

As long you have some decent mechanical skills .It just time consuming at first and gets easier each time .I would get a Chiltons and or Motors manual for reference .And there are certain "tricks" you can use to make easier.Just ask us here.

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If its poping out of gear or grinding, the problem is not the piot bushing, instead it’s your sleeve (slider) #30 and also worn gear engagement teeth on the actual gears. Reverse gear has no syncros so you need to be at a full stop before putting into reverse gear. Sometimes it helps to be in 2nd gear before going into reverse.

https://my1970z28.com/COPO/images/muncie_4spd_exploded_view1.jpg

worn engagement teeth, no sharp arrow heads
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

note arrow head shape below
    [​IMG]

Slider, arrow heads worn out
    [​IMG]

New, nice arrow heads
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  4. autobahn

autobahn Member

something else to consider, is your bell housing centered on your pilot bearing, that is does the pilot bearing share the same center bell housing? I know Tremec makes a big deal about that point.

5. Misspent youth

Misspent youth New Member

The car will shift into reverse fine, moves without issue. If I sit stationary for too long in reverse w/ the clutch in it will start to grind. Very odd.

6. 92Camarors

92Camarors New Member

Sounds like possibly your leg is fatiguing and you're not noticing your starting to let up. Plus when the clutch is in (ridding the clutch) it's not that hard for vibration to cause the shifter to start to back out of gear. Application of power actually does a lot to help hold the Trans in gear. It's also just not a good idea to be holding the clutch in that long. It puts excess wear on the throw out bearing, diaphragm fingers, and the crank shaft. Each time you press the clutch it puts a thrust force against the crank shaft. Holding the clutch in is a bad habit many have. It was a bad habit I learned when I was young, and was hard to break my self of.

7. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm with COPO, but I'll add in one other thing to double check and that is your linkage adjustment. Could just be worn out parts on the shift levers where they attach to trans. Also Shifters have a spot to insert a rod through them (usually right below where shift handle attaches), pin goes through with shifter in neutral. Then with all your transmission levers positioned so they are in neutral, you adjust each rod from shifter so that they slip onto the shift fork studs. Kind of strange that it does it during coasting though. Most times I have encountered popping out of gear it was during acceleration when forces ar being applied to syncros. If the synco isn't fully engaged. Had an 82 S10 that had plastic inserts on shifter fork where they engaged onto syncro, every 60K miles I would have to drop trans and replace plastic inserts (about $4.oo worth of parts) due to wear. Who the heck came up with that design, at least make them out of a tougher plastic, owned the truck for 200,000 miles, that is 3 times dropping trans for inserts, then of course 2 times for clutch R and R, got real good at that job!

8. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

One final thing to check is the condition of your motor and in particular your trans mounts. I worked on a friend’s car where the trans mount rubber was cracked and pushing in the clutch moved the trans over just enough to make the clutch erratic. The longer he held the clutch in like at a stop light the more it moved. Push the clutch in and see if the shifter moves over slightly.

9. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

New, nice arrow heads
    [​IMG]

also NOTE: the "teeth" are NOT "straight cut" ...this is a torque lock slider...designed to TIGHTEN when more torque is applied...as opposed to trying to kick OUT once slightly worn.

10. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Maybe something else to look for. Driving in fourth gear does it have any vibration in the shifter? If so push in on the clutch and let it back out while holding the rpm steady. A worn pilot bushing will sometimes let the tranny input shaft get just a bit off center and it stays like that when the clutch it out, declutch and it will center up, sometimes. Then you know.