Clutch replacement

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Misspent youth, Sep 8, 2021.

1. streak

streak Member

One thing no one asked is do you have the physical ability/health to muscle a trans out while on jack stands? It's not the most comfortable thing, it's awkward, and if you have a bad back, neck or other issues it can be very painful trying to muscle it out. At least a T10 is smaller than modern transmissions but it's still not what I'd call a good time.

The above are things I need to consider, or at the very least if I have the time and space to pace myself with a disassembled car, because of how broken I am.

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I use a tranny jack and 2 guide bolts with the heads cut off on the bell housing.
    [​IMG]

MChamp likes this.
  3. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I do the same as COPO, but sometimes it can be a bear getting the studs out, cut a screwdriver slot in the end of the stud, makes removing the studs a breeze. I still have a few sets of different studs I have made over the years for different applications in my tool box special tools drawer. And years of doing clutches I never thought of this idea, ran across it somewhere and it is a winner. If you have the trans input shaft through the disc but cannot get it in the last 3/4" or so due to slight misalignment of disc, have someone depress clutch pedal as you wiggle trans and push, it pops right in. Of course 99% of time I was doing clutches in past I was alone, having a wife has really come in handy! Also check Facebook marketplace for a used trans jack, I bought a harbor freight one when I did my Tremec. Now older 4 speed trans are easier, I've made wood sleds that fit the bottom shape of the trans (one piece of the sled always fits under the rear mount, you can run a few long bolts through it to secure trans instead of it wobbling around, and then I have figured a way to secure sled to the pad of my floor jack

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I used the studs in the past, honestly it simply just easier to not use them. They are a pain to remove and they really don't help.

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you think they are a pain then your not using then corretly. No pain to remove. Bolt the 2 lower bolts loosely then do the top 2 1 at a time. Can’t be any simpler than that. Been doing it this way for yrs.

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I found it much more difficult to try and align the ears to studs. It requires you to get it perfect, versus if you just slide it in, you can room to rotate it. The studs I used were longer and difficult to remove. Short studs and the point was ruined.