Cold enough yet????

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Region' started by jeff swisher, Feb 14, 2021.

1. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I understand the lake effect snow can be a little unruly at times up there. Its crazy that a lake can create its own weather pattern. Never been to NY, but Buffalo and upstate NY are certainty on the list. Want to catch some of those monster Erie smallmouth while I'm up there :).

KingofThings likes this.
  2. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

You have plenty of fishing spots here in Buffalo. The snow can be unruly for sure . The Great Lakes make nice weather patterns. I live 3 miles from the shore. Summer is almost always dry and sunny from late June until fall. Niagara Falls should be on to do list if here. Bike riding on the Islands is fun.

3. T/A Tom

T/A Tom Member

That’s pretty normal stuff for us northerners. Having lived in Wisconsin my entire life it’s just something we are used to and prepared for, but I really feel for everyone who is suffering down south because of the extreme weather. My son was doing a job along the Texas/Mexico border last week and was supposed to fly home last Sunday. After his flight out of Midland TX was canceled 11 times he drove to Dallas yesterday and finally flew back to Madison yesterday evening. Very thankful he got home safely! He said it’s an absolute mess in Texas. Very bad situation for those people.
    Here’s a nice wintry shot of a future orphaned project car. The snow has actually been melting some and you can actually see most of the car!! Can’t wait til spring...

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings Veteran Member

Did you see where there is a highway that splits with Texas and Arkansas and the Arkansas side is plowed and Texas not?

5. Roadtrip

Roadtrip Member

My wife grew up on a farm in Iowa with wood burning gravity fed heat. She says that she puts up with the Texas heat in August so that she doesn't have to endure the cold any more. If the power goes out in August you can jump in the pool but there's not much you can do when it's -2, the power is out for 10 hours at a time, and won't stay on more than an hour when it is on.

Fireplaces around here are built for show not heat. I have gas and my insert has a 4" diameter flume but the only positions the damper has is all open or all closed. Even as poor a job as my fireplace does, it kept us from turning into popsicles. OBTW, vice grips are great. I was able to rig my flume to close down about 50%.

Looks like I'll be buying some new pool equipment but so far no burst water pipes ;)

Zstar and KingofThings like this.
  6. KingofThings

7. T/A Tom

T/A Tom Member

Wow, hopefully you’ll get out of it without any burst pipes or major damage. I’m guessing that being in Texas your homeowners insurance doesn’t cover those things?
    When it gets below zero for extended periods of time around here people can have issues with freezing pipes too, usually in older homes with inadequate insulation.
    My son was looking forward to going to southern Texas to film a hunting video but the weather made it very difficult. They were essentially sleeping outside and he said he was cold for a week. Lots of stories about this storm!

KingofThings likes this.
  8. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

My choice is cold , that blazing can’t breath think I’m gonna die heat aint for me

T/A Tom and KingofThings like this.
  9. T/A Tom

T/A Tom Member

Who would have thought that there would be a thread on here this long about weather?
    I understand what you’re saying about stifling heat, we get that around here too. But given my choice I would choose the heat because it can’t kill you like the extreme cold. If you get stuck outside in subzero temps you don’t last long...

KingofThings likes this.
  10. KingofThings

Yes it can. People die in the desert every summer, usually because they leave their broken vehicle. When we first moved to Vegas my Dad taught me to always have water. No one comes by soon...start burning things, grab loose stuff out of the car and keep a smoky fire going, I'm talking without causing other damage. No cell phones then and fewer travelers.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021