Cold enough yet????

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Region' started by jeff swisher, Feb 14, 2021.

1. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

I’ll build a fire

jeff swisher and KingofThings like this.
  2. T/A Tom

T/A Tom Member

Yes, I understand that either condition can be life threatening. I’ve been in both hot and cold (coldest was -60 in Ely/Tower MN 2/2/96 making deliveries in a semi). But given the choice, I would take my chances with the heat any day. If you’re unfortunate enough to be stranded in extreme cold you can have a truckload of food and water, but if you don’t have any heat you’re in big trouble fast. Not a matter of days, but minutes. I guess just like cars, we all have our opinions and most of them are based on experience. Sounds like your dad was a wise man who taught you well

KingofThings likes this.
  3. T/A Tom

T/A Tom Member

I did not see this, that’s crazy! Around here you can definitely tell where township and county borders are when they’re plowing, but I’ve never seen a road with only one side plowed. Unless they just haven’t made a pass in the other direction yet.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

The coldest I have seen was -25. I tried driving my cobalt with all seasons. It drove but the tires were frozen and it was like I was on black ice,turned around and went home. No work today. That day there were accidents everywhere. Glad stayed home. We get snow , I learned watch the forecast it can save your life. Everyone gets all nutty when wrong predictions are made. To predict weather has to be very frustrating

KingofThings and T/A Tom like this.
  5. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

It is very frustrating, I am sure. However, it is one of few jobs where you can be consistently wrong and not get fired. LOL!

80sz, KingofThings and jeff swisher like this.
  6. T/A Tom

T/A Tom Member

That’s why they’re called weather forecasters, they get paid whether they’re right or whether they’re wrong! :)

Zstar and KingofThings like this.
  7. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

We've had 14 degree temperatures all week and got about 8 of snow. That's really rare for this area. Today it's going up to 40 and tomorrow it'll be 60. Bye Bye snow

KingofThings likes this.
  8. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Big jumps seem crazy but that happens often around here also.

One odd thing the neighbor and I noticed.
    The cold is not so cold after a few days of it.
    We were out in the -7° F splitting wood and when it got to 8° above on another day we actually thought it felt pretty good.
    If you were out of the wind anyway.

I had plenty of wood split and stacked but my son thought he could just run his electric central heat.
    Yea at 1$ an hour he sure could.
    Yes he checked the usage and that is what it amounted to.
    He came over for some wood since i stuck a wood burning insert in the fireplace where he lives (next Door)
    It has a blower on it and will run you out of the house in a short time.

9. KingofThings

KingofThings Veteran Member

All depends upon which brand of dartboard they are employing at the time.....AND weather ;) or not, it's a soft one or those ridiculous plastic affronts to the art of playing darts.

Zstar and T/A Tom like this.
  10. cnlmustard

cnlmustard Member

Well, here's the local report from NOLA, we had two nights this month at 26 deg., monsoon with each backing up of yer freaking cold front keep messing our Gulf air. We're all acclimated to warm- 90% humidity, so every visitor from North in winter here say "this cold here cuts through you worse than anything!" I really never ever figured how that is, when ya'll have crazy cold up there?

Zstar likes this.