Colorado Forum

Discussion in 'Colorado Owners' started by asphaltburner, May 30, 2010.

1. TheFastForester

TheFastForester Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So far the CSU mountain campus (Pingree Park) has been spared, it was touch and go up there over the weekend.

2. asphaltburner

asphaltburner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So I heard. Sad, that 'we' allowed the forest floor to become littered with dead wood, and never managed overgrowth, creating the perfect situation for the beetles,...
    When I was a Boy Scout, we used to go up as a group, and thin forest floors by hand,...must have been some of the forest west of Denver.
    Glad that my wife and I had all of those years to enjoy the forests west of Ft Collins, and in southern Wyo,...I'll be afraid to visit them, now - I don't want to see the scars.

3. TheFastForester

This is a complicated issue but I'll sum it up in two thoughts...unintended consequences and inaction. Now read on if interested...Unintended consequences of fire suppression on the landscape for close to a century. And inaction of lack of forest management (prescribed fire, thinning, harvest, etc.). And I mainly mean on USFS (federal land in the West). Throw in a warming climate and beetle epidemics and we have the perfect storm for mega-fires. In my career I am lucky to have worked as a forester for state and local organizations where we manage state and private land and city forests, where we can actually get things done. I feel sorry for the US Forest Service foresters, especially in the West, as their hands are often tied up in legal battles from well meaning, yet very uninformed, environmental groups that have the power to stop logging/thinning on public forests. We can't just "let nature take its course" as we have been altering our forest ecosystems for hundreds of years, we need active management and to let the professionals do their jobs they were hired to do.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    70-camaro likes this.
  4. asphaltburner

Keith - it could not have been said better! You hit all of the points very nicely. My generation, and several on either side of it, have failed to respond properly to pollution, over-population, climate change, racism, and the list goes on. Mostly because everyone can't all agree, and we get caught up in the fight, and nothing gets done - or what gets done gets reversed.
    It's drying up around here. Moved to this 3.5 acres in 1985, and it has slowly gotten dryer in that period. We had a sprinkle tonight,...first trace of moisture in 35 days. And that's in the fall - September/October,...
    I hope I can keep my trees alive in the future.

5. asphaltburner

Wow! Even my burr oak (still nearly fully leaved) survived the 8+ inches of snow without any damage - dry, light snow,...
    Damn good to finally see some moisture for a change! I think we only saw a couple (2 - 3) of rain events over the spring/summer - the rest was sprinkles,...
    Hopefully it will knock down the fires to the west, just a bit.

6. 70_Camaro_SS

70_Camaro_SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I hope they have a lot of snow west of yinz to help knock those fires down.
    We only have a about 4-5" down here in the Springs.

7. TheFastForester

Ya, decent amount of snow but pretty fluffy. Record lows tonight, but I think the massive fires will burn and smolder well into November.