comp thumper cam need info

franks70camaro

Veteran Member
Jul 6, 2009
fayetteville nc
was wondering who out there uses the comp cams mutha thumper cams n if so do these cams create enough vacume for power breaks ive done some reading were they say these cams doent make alot of vacume can any one confirm ???

Cataldo

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Well not answering you question but my chicks brother is running the thumper in an 11:1 350 and it produces like 15" in neutral (m20) at about 1000rpm. Which is enough but the mother thumper will be even less. Ill be honest in that it is a little extra sluggy down low. Than a cam with a wider lsa and similar other specs. Sounds good but not what I would pick imo.

Also what motor are you putting it in?

450bench

Veteran Member
Feb 25, 2002
memphis, tn-shelby
I have run the muther thumpr in several big blocks and small blocks. Makes about 9 inches of vacuum in 9 to 1 engines and about 11 in higher compression engines. Never had a power brake issue.

Personally, in my experience, these cams make good power but really run well with high compression.

It's interesting when people trash them, especially when they've never run one. With the right combo they are really strong no matter what you hear.

franks70camaro

Veteran Member
Jul 6, 2009
fayetteville nc
i have a 383 stroker n im looking for a cam that will have awsome low torque i have 10 to1 rpm air gap intake 64 cc heads 210 runners any ideas what cam to go wit would help

franks70camaro

Veteran Member
Jul 6, 2009
fayetteville nc
used roller to expensive for me right now
need a great hydraulic flat tappet cam for my 383 some one give me some cam specs u think would b great in a street motor 383

Cataldo

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Yeah roller definitely. My BILs elco makes ok low end power. But that is with the thumper. If your looking for a torque monster id go with something with a wider lsa. It wont sound as good but will run better imho. Not that the thumper is bad, im not saying that, but I have yet to be impressed with them power wise.

franks70camaro

Veteran Member
Jul 6, 2009
fayetteville nc
so give me some names of cams u would recomend that have good sound n great power non roller thou need ideas of hwta cams to look at need the lobe seperation u recomend n lift on them tnx

kenny77

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Go Lunati Voodoo... I have a 103 Voodoo 520 lift in my 383 with 10.5 to 1 and about 14-15 in of vacuum at idle. Forget Comp Cams. I wouldn't put a Comp flat tappet noise maker click..click..anything in my engine. Let alone try and guess what they were trying to do when they made the " Motha Thumper"

lunati-cams-logo.jpg

Last edited:

Cataldo

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Ive never seen a lunati cam that didnt work very well. I like Howard's cams personally. 110lsa is a good compromise, 112 if your wanting more tame but broader power. Id look at the perfornamce cam sections, like extreme energy, lunatis voodoo, exc. Lunati makes their new bootlegger series. Its a little more power oriented than thr thumpers I think. But I have no experiance with them and am not a cam expert.