Completely Frustrated!!! - Carb Issue???

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by a79Classic, Apr 24, 2008.

1. a79Classic

a79Classic Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well lately it has been bogging down and giving a choppy responce under moderate to heavy acceleration but has never cut out on me.

OK.. so I'm on my way home from my favorite car wash that is across town. I also look at it as a chance to run the car out some and keep the fluids cycled. Anyways.. I'm going up the incline to a local bridge that is NOTORIOUS for bad accidents on it almost once a day it seems. Then it happens.. Sputter.. Sputter.. ( I feather the gas with the pedal ) it picks up.. Sputter.. then it just dies. in the worst possible place. 5 lanes wide and I'm in the middle lane and quickly coasting to a stop..:mad: Well I put it in neutral as it was coasting and tried to get it to start. No go.. Finally I stop and put it in park the tried 3 or 4 times to start it. Luckally a DOT safety truck was behind me and put on their lights and there was no accident. So I tried a few more times and then it finally started. I got over to my lane and exited onto the last hwy that would get me home. Just as I pass the last exit before my exit it starts in again and dies. I pulled over and was able to get on the tiny strip the call an emergency lane here. Well I tried and tried to start it, but no go. Called one of my roomates and he came in my truck with two cans of carb cleaner. I thought "what the $%&* is THAT going to help with" (well it did something!). He sprayed it on the carb, pushed the primarys and secondaries and I tried it, bam.. it started right up. I was able to barely get it home and saved it from dieing by feathering the gas a few times.

Weather: Sunny & 84

Carb: Orig. Quadrajet 4bbl

Symptoms:
    It's not consistent at all.. will run fine and then just sputter, sometimes settle out and sometimes die out. I have used Carb cleaner on it in the past as well as SeaFoam cleaner. I changed the fuel filter about 4 months ago so I would think that would not be it. Could the floats be sticking? It seems to get worse on the start of an incline but not ALWAYS. I noticed if I keep the gas consistant and don't push the throttle at all it is less likely to sputter. It deffinately seems to be starving out of fuel. That my perception at least. It also seems to rev and run fine in park.

Anyone have ANY idea what this issue is?? I know NOTHING about carbs and will need to get this fixed reasonably soon. I am suposed to bring the car to Atlanta, GA for G12 in less then a month! :(

Sorry for the mind numbingly long post, but I didn't know if any of the driving conditions would give a clue.

Thanks for any and all suggestions or help you guys/gals may be able to provide..

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. heavy duty

heavy duty Veteran Member

When the car dies you should look in the carb and move the throttle and see if it is getting any fuel. Maybe a mal-functioning fuel pump?

3. Doctor Z

Doctor Z Member

I had a truck do the exact same thing to me. Turned out to be dirt in the needle seat restricting flow. Somewhere on this site is a Q-jet guide, or you might be able to petition Damon for help. He's an excellent Q-jet man, and has helped me out a time or two. Either one will be able to tell you where to look and how to get there.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

You might want to change your fuel filter. If it has crud in it, it restricts fuel flow and shows up when you need more fuel on hills and when accelerating.

5. arcade21

arcade21 New Member

my stock q jet did that and it turned out to be the electric choke was busted and constantly flooding the engine, however, in my case putting it in nuetral and flooring it kept the car going cause it burned up some of that gas. If nothing else checks out problemwise, see if your choke is working

6. ejpii

ejpii Veteran Member

My first guess would be the fuel filter in the carb if it has one. Second would be fuel pump.

EJ

7. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

1] clogged fuel filter

2] fuel pump going bad

3] sock in fuel tank plugged

4]accel pump on carb

8. 79HumbleBee

79HumbleBee Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

this may sound dumb to ask, but you had sufficient fuel right? ive done it. its the only reason i ask.

9. Damon23

Damon23 Veteran Member

You might be onto something with the floats. Hopefully Damon will chime in with a opinion. You may want to send Kenny over at southeastcamaroz a shout as well. I'm finally getting mine dialed in. I just need to put a little timing into it cause I have initial acceleration bog but not much. The fuel pump is easy to replace. If I can do it, you can do it and it is cheap. The same with the fuel filter. Hope you get it figured out before G-12, I will be doing good to get my car there.

10. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Fuel pump! I had a 80 C10 that drove me nuts till it finally got bad enought that it would hardly run. Checked the fuel pressure and it saw 2.5 psi (spec is 5 to 7 psi).