Completely Frustrated!!! - Carb Issue???

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by a79Classic, Apr 24, 2008.

1. 78LT383

78LT383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

+1, Fuel Pump.

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Check my signature file for Quad help.

3. a79Classic

a79Classic Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks everyone!!!...

My fuel filter is basicly new with less then 600 miles on it. The "sock in the tank" I have never touched, so I will put that as a possibility. I am thinking more and more that It is the fuel pump and I have a new one to put on sunday or monday.. It seems that fuel starvation is what might be causing the issue. I'll try there first... Then work further down the line... :) Thanks folks!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

It's hard to diag cars without seeing them but I will try to help. One thing I do know is that Q-jets are good at fuel boil out which is just what it says. On warm days the underhood temps get pretty high annnnd then as you are going along it starts the car craps out and you think it will never start again.
    I had an 82' T/A do this several time and I worked a t the dealer at the time and no one could fix this. So with the blessing of the zone so I could get paid
    we started trying different things.

1st. was to wrap the metal fuel lines with some foam tube wraped with aluminum foil. helped some.
    2nd. was to rework the ign. no help
    3rd. Pontiac gave me the go ahead to put in an electric booster fuel pump that helped the mechanical pump a lot.
    and 4th. I put in a TBI fuel pump that ran to a regulator so I could run full presure to the carb and then send the rest back to the tank and wah lah no more die out on warm days.
    You have to remember that Q-jet's have tiny fuel bowls and any amount of heat is bad for them and that bowl is hard to keep full.

Just my 2 cents worth hope it can be of some help.

5. a79Classic

a79Classic Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ok.. so I've put a new pump in and it's still being a PITA.. It started and ran fine.. also made it down the mtn and out to the main street. It was accelerating ok.. but then I laid into it a little to get up to speed and then it started bogging down and quiting again..:( We looked at the accelorator pump and it looks to be ok as well.. Does that leave the sock filter in the tank to look at?? I hope not..:( Should I check the fuel filter in that carb even thought it's not but just a few months old?

6. ejpii

ejpii Veteran Member

Yes check the filter again. Also make sure its not in backwards. Seen that one done before too.

EJ

7. insane4fbodys

insane4fbodys Veteran Member

Is the filter a inline or the 1 in the carb? The 1 in the carb is very notorious for getting water into it from bad gas and will not flow any fuel or very slowly. Do not leave it out for good, but take it out of the carb and try it. If it does fine, replace it. 1 tank of gas with water will kill a fuel filter. My 2 cents worth. Happened the same way on a 84 Hurst/Olds I had.

8. outlaw77LT

outlaw77LT Member

The jets for the primarys are in the bottom/front of the float bowl. Sounds like you are uncovering em when on an incline. How old is the pump? For the price of a filter I'd change it 1st, then look at the pressure that the pump is giving you.

9. dui's Z

dui's Z Guest

Don't bother with dropping the tank to clean the sock. I had the same issue with my Q-Jet. One day I couldn't go farther than 15 miles and it would sputter and stall. When it sputtered I'd step on the gas and it would make it worse. Then I drove her 30+ miles to a cruise down I-80. Got a couple miles from the exit and bam had to feather the gas to get off the highway. As long as I went 35 and slower it was fine. When I left that night ( after 6 hours) it only took about 5 miles before it fd-uped againg. Had to ride the shoulder all the way home. Put some gas in it and it was fine. After all that crap I found an edlebrock (500cfm) carb in the junkyard. Brought a simple rebuild kit for it and never looked back since. I wanted to go back to the Q-jet for the purpose of stock. I brought a rebuild kit for it. Took 'er apart. I've never seen a carb look like hell before this one. When I get the dough I'll buy a remanufactered Q-jet from summit or someone. Anyway, don't bother doing anything else to the car without changing to a carb you know is good to rule things out. I also changed the fuel pump,filter,lines,4 used q-jets and some ignition parts before putting the edlebrock carb on it. Of all the things I did the only thing that fixed the problem was changing to a good carb.

10. 78LT383

78LT383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Have you tried replacing the gas cap? If the vent is plugged or bad, you can have problems with it cutting out.