Compressor fittings

8pack

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 29, 2007
Western, MA
D5E50E0C-AB8C-4A32-9AF8-481E66F2E434.jpeg
What’s the difference between these 2 fittings? Are the matching female specific fittings for each? Why use one or the other?

thanks!

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
High side and low side. Red I think being high and blue low, could also be called suction and discharge.

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
The one on the left is a regular ("Milton" style) fitting for your typical air tool, DA, impact, etc. The one on the right is a high flow fitting. Those are great for HVLP spray guns and anything else that takes ungodly volume. The high flow ones work great for anything, but using the smaller one can cause problems with high CFM tools. Look at the I.D. and you'll see the high flow one is larger.
Hope this helps Bill.

8pack

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 29, 2007
Western, MA
Ah, that makes sense. So no real reason to use the lower flow ones. Been wondering about it for years and was cleaning the garage he finally decided to ask someone!

thanks Phil!

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
The one on the left is a regular ("Milton" style) fitting for your typical air tool, DA, impact, etc. The one on the right is a high flow fitting. Those are great for HVLP spray guns and anything else that takes ungodly volume. The high flow ones work great for anything, but using the smaller one can cause problems with high CFM tools. Look at the I.D. and you'll see the high flow one is larger.
Hope this helps Bill.

Learn something new everyday. I always just went with what the shop was set up for.

Phil G

Veteran Member
May 3, 2004
Tucker, GA, USA
Learn something new everyday. I always just went with what the shop was set up for.

I spent 5 years as a Sales Engineer dealing heavily with hydraulics and pneumatics. The one on the left we referred to as "Industry Interchangeable" . The other one we dealt with was "Aro" which is proprietary. Shops typically standardized on one or the other, with the majority going with the "II" version. This was back in the '80s so no HVLP guns at that time.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
As stated ^^^ standard LONG .(there is also a standard SHORT).... high flow.....There are freaking 100's of different "fittings" out there. Given I travel sometimes to very "remote" places in the world to do field repair work...we have a few tools REQUIRED for certain jobs. We also have the "BOX-O-FITTINS" ...we carry with us also as it never fails...we are in country XXXX and need the 1" drive impact....chit don't fit..the magic box has nothing either? :eek:....been more than 1 time that we've just cut their hose and put in our fitting...then when done..put in a plug ;)

Latest posts