Compressor fittings

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 8pack, May 30, 2021.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

D5E50E0C-AB8C-4A32-9AF8-481E66F2E434.jpeg What’s the difference between these 2 fittings? Are the matching female specific fittings for each? Why use one or the other?

thanks!

2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

High side and low side. Red I think being high and blue low, could also be called suction and discharge.

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

The one on the left is a regular ("Milton" style) fitting for your typical air tool, DA, impact, etc. The one on the right is a high flow fitting. Those are great for HVLP spray guns and anything else that takes ungodly volume. The high flow ones work great for anything, but using the smaller one can cause problems with high CFM tools. Look at the I.D. and you'll see the high flow one is larger.
    Hope this helps Bill.

M1 Master Gunner likes this.
  4. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ah, that makes sense. So no real reason to use the lower flow ones. Been wondering about it for years and was cleaning the garage he finally decided to ask someone!

thanks Phil!

xten likes this.
  5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Learn something new everyday. I always just went with what the shop was set up for.

6. Phil G

Phil G Veteran Member

I spent 5 years as a Sales Engineer dealing heavily with hydraulics and pneumatics. The one on the left we referred to as "Industry Interchangeable" . The other one we dealt with was "Aro" which is proprietary. Shops typically standardized on one or the other, with the majority going with the "II" version. This was back in the '80s so no HVLP guns at that time.

7. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

As stated ^^^ standard LONG .(there is also a standard SHORT).... high flow.....There are freaking 100's of different "fittings" out there. Given I travel sometimes to very "remote" places in the world to do field repair work...we have a few tools REQUIRED for certain jobs. We also have the "BOX-O-FITTINS" ...we carry with us also as it never fails...we are in country XXXX and need the 1" drive impact....chit don't fit..the magic box has nothing either? :eek:....been more than 1 time that we've just cut their hose and put in our fitting...then when done..put in a plug ;)