computer memory?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Goat, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How long can the ecm be disconnected from the battery before it starts to 'forget'?

I've had my car in storage for awhile now and crank it up every month or two. The battery is disconnected during this time. It has always cranked, but sometimes take a few minutes to start running 'normal'. But this last time it doesn't start at all. I have fuel pressure and spark and plenty of battery, but the starter just turns and turns. Thoughts?

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

It will never forget the programing (to an extent), its just like a computer. However every time you disconnect the battery it has relearn the trims (doesn't run that great). I would leave the battery connected and buy a battery tender. I would also be concerned about fuel age...did you use a stabilizer?

3. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I knew there was a 're-learning' curve after sitting awhile - just didn't know if there was a point of no return. I don't actually remove the cables. I have a disconnect switch in line. Anyway, I'm always a little concerned about leaving an 800 amp power source hooked up to a bunch of wires that mice like to gnaw on. All my wiring is fused, but you never now what them little bastards can do...

I think I'm going to run a fused wire from the ecm directly to the hot side of the disconnect switch.

Yep, a big fan of fuel stabilizer.

thanks for responding.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I hear yea! I have a tender on mine and the fuel is going on a year old!