Considering aluminum guage panel and autometers.

jroach

Veteran Member
Apr 9, 2007
petersburg MI
for those of you who have already done it, what am I up against? I'm tired of my broken stock cluster that I can barely see. Looking at some of the panels i see they appear to not have mounting holes drilled. Are you using the stock mounting points? One of many issues is the factory holes in mine are stripped out.

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
This is my set up ..
20200709_135009.jpg

djorgensen3

Veteran Member
Oct 15, 2009
Peoria, Az
I think he is talking about the main instrument cluster. I am kinda in the same predicament with no bezel or gauges at all but I'm leaning toward an aluminum 1/8" thick bezel if I can find one.

jroach

Veteran Member
Apr 9, 2007
petersburg MI
I think he is talking about the main instrument cluster. I am kinda in the same predicament with no bezel or gauges at all but I'm leaning toward an aluminum 1/8" thick bezel if I can find one.
Correct. All of my tabs are missing my volt gage is way off and my tach doesn't work at all. The mounting holes for the factory bezel are stripped out too. Also let's face it 2nd gens had terrible lighting in the cluster. Also si ce my car is actually deleted I would like to utilize the factory vent location for more gages. A wide band would be awesome

73Z L92

Veteran Member
Jan 25, 2011
Carlos, MN
A number of years ago when I swapped a L92 into a 73 Camaro. Auto Meter gauges. I made it out of 16 gauge aluminum. Took a couple of tries to get it to fit perfect. I used spray bomb undercoating for paint to give it a bit of a wrinkle finish.
Resized and here's the pic

Attachments

• DSCN0210.JPG
    DSCN0210.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Here is a link to a video from Custom Works Performance. They make gauge panels and gauge packages that are plug and play for our cars. Keith is a site sponsor, very nice fellow, and really dedicated to making good products for our cars.

kenny77

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Look man....I had a mint condition everything working U14 cluster but just got sick of the stupid dim lighting and display on these cars. LED bulbs...whatever...it still was a terrible look for my car. But yet I didn't want the RACE CAR LOOK out of a Jegs / Summit catalog
I just installed a Dakota Digital RTX last week. It took 15 weeks to get here.

d
full

Last edited:

Zspoiler

Veteran Member
May 6, 2012
Federal Way, Washington
There are some aftermarket setups out there .I had a friend of mine who family build fishing boats on my 1979 Z-28 .With a Monster Tach with a shift light .With a matching Speedometer and 2" Autometer including a clock I mounted by reinforcing the stock mounting points with "L' brackets, and Allen head screws .I also mounted some some 2" gauge like a fuel pressure . and boost gauges inside the 6" cowl induction hood.

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama