Control arms and handling mods help

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by VandykeT/A, Mar 14, 2020.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

A first for me...Usually when it comes to large tires and offsets, its the sway bar and the lower control arm that creates the issue. I ran a 245 with Hotchkis Arms, 17X8, 4.5" BS. No issues.

I don't see a larger diameter causing issues...only width.

2. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

either way, maybe the OP should be aware of other people’s experience and establish his/hers goals and criteria for selection.

pretty sure there is someone or 2 on here running a wide 18” front tire with a ptfb sway bar and upper a arms.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

And racing them with sticky tires. I can't catch some local cars with ptfb parts.

To the op, another good choice is UMI.

UMI Tech likes this.
  4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

You know as well as most of us...That's a horsepower and or driver issue, not a control arm. Most cases than not, the PTFB pushers have ONLY ran PTFB. I have ran them as well as others, I give my opinion based on experience of seeing first hand and using a few of these brands. In the end yes, its the buyers decision and my opinion is just that.

5. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Haven’t even ran PTFB myself but would definitely consider it based on multiple criteria ranging from design, price, to size of wheel/tire.
    Do have the adjustable g-braces and that is one slick item.

6. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I don't think fitment has been brought up in the past with this discussion (or at least it's not common) if you're using factory spindles it doesn't look like you'd have much issue with these aftermarket designs, if anything it would give you more clearance I would have assumed, but thats interesting to know.

7. UMI Tech

UMI Tech Member NastyZ28 Sponsor

Thanks for the UMI mention above.

Here is our 100% Made In USA/USA materials race proven line of upper a-arms.

Let me know if you have any questions.

ramey@umiperformance.com

8. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Lots of great companies that make total packages out there for our cars, some more expensive than others, some have the added features (without the fluff or high $$) that's needed to get you to that upper level of handling.

Like in the automotive paint world, if at all possible, you should try to always stick with one company with a great reputation for performance and tech support & guidance before and after the sale, unless your deep in the know on all the tech levels, and looking for those small advantages/differences to fit what you like, then you can piece things together, but if something does not work out, your on your own most times, and if you have to buy the same parts again, it adds up quick.

Do your research, working with 1 company that understands our chassis and sells a proven total package takes a lot of the guess work out of it.

I really like DuPont's Delrin material, look at the companies that use it in their arms and bushings with grease fittings. The upper A arms is money well spent and a key point including the tall upper/low friction BJ (+.500). If your planning or wanting to improve your driving skill, and looking to get into the Road Course HPDE and Autocross events, the fully adjustable arms allow you to dial in more Caster/Camber as you and your tires progress and never need to use shims, another key point if you install the Y cowl braces. NB: Upper A arms locate the upper BJ, they are not a load point.

If your really bucks up, and in need of some lower arms, look for the Delrin bushings and relocated lower BJ for added Caster.

Getting these cars to handle amazingly well without robbing a bank with simple and correct and well thought out upgrades in the right areas can be achieved, the difference in times, be it in RR or on the Autocross comes down to tires, driver and a predictable handling package that the driver is confident with, and not so much the HP.

I have experienced this many times, cars with less hp/tq and a lower power to weight ratio, with the same, or less of a tire, besting cars that "should" be quicker, shocking in some cases regardless of what side of the fence your on.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    NOT A TA likes this.
  9. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

I use GLobal WEst on all my cars. upper and lowers. My neighbor got the full global west setup for his 64. I have a few other friends and all very happy with global west as well.. I would also stay away from the cheap knockoffs as well... Have had people using those and the quality is so inferior.

Michael

10. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Another recommendation for Global West arms with the fantastic Del-A-Lum bushings. I run both their uppers and lower arms. Absolutely fantastic. I have Hotchkis springs and sway bars, and then Bilstein B6 shocks (the Hotchkis shocks are tweaked B6s).