Control arms and handling mods help

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by VandykeT/A, Mar 14, 2020.

1. VandykeT/A

VandykeT/A Member

I’m not really building the car for the road course just a driver but back when the car was in one piece it felt like a tank with less suspension under it. I hated how the car felt all around. Rode horribly, handle horribly, and 4.3 S10s would eat it alive in every aspect. I’m not looking to make the car handle with a C7 I’d just like to cross all my Ts as I come to them. I figure adding the caster will help make it feel less like junk. I just turned 28 and I’ve had this car since I was 11 with my grandfather who passed away in 07 but when it came time to drive I had 4th gen cars and always compared them. If the car handle like one of those I would be more than satisfied even if it handle a little worse than one of those I’d be satisfied.

2. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

did it drive terribly even after replacing the bushings? because just doing that can make the car feel a million times better if all your stuff is dry rotted.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Sounds like all you need is a suspension rebuild. Don't waste the $$ on anything but new bushing, ball-joints etc...

roadrace2 likes this.
  4. VandykeT/A

VandykeT/A Member

I haven’t messed with the car in years until now. I had it licensed maybe 8-10 years ago and started pulling the boat anchor 400 Pontiac out and just never got to work on it anymore. After moving, getting married, having a daughter I decided I was going to restore it. Right now they’re no interior in the car, tunnel is cut out with a Ls and T56 poked through the floor no rearend or rear suspension under it so I haven’t driven the car with new bushings or in 8-10 years for that matter. I bought the Hotchkis TVS just so everything would be new and lowered when done. After I get the back end on the ground I’m pulling the front subframe and starting on that end. Then once it’s all done and painted weld connectors in. Original plan was sand blast the stock arms but after reading about 1 degree of caster when these cars were new and knowing stock 4th gens had 6 the OCD has kicked in. With ball joints the cheaper brands are a little over 500 but I can get hotchkis for 679 shipped. I’ll probably end up with hotchkis since the rest will be theirs.

5. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

There's something to be said for having a "matching set". It looks like the Hotchkis arms only have Delrin now, which is good.

6. badazz81z28

Compared to what? They had came standard with Delrin when I bought uppers and lowers in 2009.

7. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Did they? I couldn't remember if they had a poly option or not when I bought all my stuff a couple years ago...maybe they didn't. GW does have an option for poly, so maybe that's what I'm thinking of.

8. badazz81z28

Me either now...Ill have to go look.

9. VandykeT/A

VandykeT/A Member

I’ve all ready got a poly bushing set for the front end. Can I use these in the lowers with the hotchkis uppers.

10. badazz81z28

The top arm bushings in the lowers? No.

You can run aftermarket uppers arms
    with stock lowers. Done all the time.