Convert to EFI with boost in mind down the line?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by sunkenloot, Jun 22, 2015.

1. sunkenloot

sunkenloot Veteran Member Gold Member

I have been reading a bit about the EFI world and am still a bit fuzzy on a few things.

I would like to convert over to EFI with eventually running about 5-8 pound of boost.

Im right around 500HP right now and the motor should be fine as is.

Some of the EFI systems seem to work well with boost some don’t support it.

I can’t really seem to find anyone who is using the systems I am looking at with a boosted application.

Atomic EFI seems to be the front runner. The Holley HP system seems to fit the bill as well.

I have looked at some of the megasquirt stuff but, I really like the idea of a turn key kit.

Mainly it needs to support boost, somewhere in the range of 600-700 HP and potentially e85 compatible as well.

Anyone have any insight into this?

2. sunkenloot

sunkenloot Veteran Member Gold Member

3. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Doesn't appear to have a handheld to make adjustments on the performance injection system, so I'm sure you'll need a laptop and tuning program.

I'm running the Atomic EFI (no boost), and what I've found is that even though it's "self-learning" it still takes trial and error adjustments to make it perform its best. Obviously no two engines are the same and there's no way for a system encompass all engines perfectly out the gate, but once you find out what major settings your engine needs, the self-learning feature does a nice job. It's nice not needing a laptop to make quick adjustments on the fly. Atomic is capable of controlling the timing as well, which greatly improved driveability on my application. MSD set up a forum on the Atomic EFI website as well for troubleshooting and tuning help. I'm very pleased with the system and how easy adjustments are.

Good luck with whichever system you choose.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  4. DFWJ

DFWJ Veteran Member

Any true stand alone efi system will handle boost. Its dependent on the sensors you use to send the manifold pressure/vacuum signal to the computer. I am always leary of the self-tuning efi, I have seen a few try to flood an engine because it thinks its running lean and just keeps adding fuel.

You are going to need to control ignition timing as well unless you plan to use an MSD with ign retard on boost reference.

So you most likely are going to need a system that will require a laptop to tune.

There are many good systems on the market right now. I use FAST XFI on my BBC currently. I've been really impressed with the Haltech system recently. You mentioned e85, several efi systems have provisions for a fuel type sensor and allow the EFI to adjust on the fly for ethonal blends.

Be aware e85 requires about a 30% increase in fuel volume for the same air fuel ratios, so the fuel system needs to be designed with that in mind.

Hit me up, I'm in DFW. Glad to answer any EFI questions

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

the only difficulty i see is the e-85. This requires a BIG fuel system. From the pump (s) lines regulator and injectors as e85 uses almost 35% more fuel 9.7:1 vs 14.7:1 stoich.

6. DFWJ

DFWJ Veteran Member

Exactly Fbird,

I typically over size the injectors/fuel system in order to run a shorter pulse width and phase the injection timing for best response, but that may be a little advanced for this discussion.