Convert to manual steering

hubedobeedo

3rd times a charm
Jul 18, 2013
Huntertown,IN
you can adjust the box. i have a manual box on my 71, which i just ordered a new 16:1 from Camaro central. it's made in USA, i could rebuild mine (kits available) but my original is 24:1 i kept the manual due to no drag on engine, there are manual racks available also.

Attachments

• 0227221426b.jpg
    0227221426b.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 4

CorkyE

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 4, 2004
Ringgold, GA
I have to replace it I don't like the 2in or so of slack in the steering I'm considering manual steering box for a little hp gain and weight loss of the ps box & pump.
Power steering uses virtually no horse power when going straight, like down the drag strip. The pump is in bypass so it's not a draw on the engine. As for weight, unless you're going strip only, I can't see the gain worth the pain. New or rebuilt boxes are not that expensive and a lot less headache. IMHO

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
Power steering uses virtually no horse power when going straight, like down the drag strip. The pump is in bypass so it's not a draw on the engine. As for weight, unless you're going strip only, I can't see the gain worth the pain. New or rebuilt boxes are not that expensive and a lot less headache. IMHO
That was my thought as well. I wasn't about to "cast judgement" on someone else's car but for the .05 ET that might be saved unless he's doing some awful serious drag racing I don't see it as worth it. Like you said, get a rebuilt box and save a bunch of hassle.