converter ?

D72CamaroZ28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 26, 2006
The Mile high City
I was doing the math and am wondering how bad you guys think my continental converter really is? My 81 Camaro is 3400 lbs with a 440 small block Chevy an a Th400 4.11 gear 28 tall tire. My best this year was a 11.33 at 117 mph with 7000 rpm at the stripe. It just seems to me that my converter is costing me ET and MPH? Continental has done this converter three times and am not interested in sending it to them again especially since they said my numbers are fine. What do you guys think of my numbers and if you think it needs restalled who would you recommend? Thanks for your help!

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
D72CamaroZ28 said:
I was doing the math and am wondering how bad you guys think my continental converter really is? My 81 Camaro is 3400 lbs with a 440 small block Chevy an a Th400 4.11 gear 28 tall tire. My best this year was a 11.33 at 117 mph with 7000 rpm at the stripe. It just seems to me that my converter is costing me ET and MPH? Continental has done this converter three times and am not interested in sending it to them again especially since they said my numbers are fine. What do you guys think of my numbers and if you think it needs restalled who would you recommend? Thanks for your help!

It very well could be costing you ET. My Camaro is close to what you have but with my 406 I run an 8" TCI convert. When I first used it I swtched out a 10" TCI race one for this when I had my 355. The car went from 11.80s to 11.40s with te switch. The same thing happend when I first used the 406, The car ran the best of 11.06 with the 10" and then when I switch the car went 10.81 with the 8" convert.

Continental is a good converter and I am sure they have their place, but as the TCI guy said when I talked with him, You cannot get as good of an ET out of a 10" converter as an 8" model due to fluid shear. If I ver but another new converter I will go with a Coan or a PTC or something of that type.

One thing to note was my 461 did not like the 8" model I have now as it would come out of the hole at 6K so to use it I would have to have it tightened up. More tq. higher stall.

Cardinal

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 22, 2003
Endicott, NY
What are your 60' times? The first 60' is where a vehicle has it's greatest amount of acceleration.

I also think that a 28" tall tire is too small. I'd put a 29" or bigger tire in there if it'll fit. That will help your top end more than anything. Try borrowing a pair of taller slicks to see if I'm right.

D72CamaroZ28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 26, 2006
The Mile high City
Thanks for the help guys! Last year I was foot braking an had a 1.43 best 60 ft and decided I wanted a transbrake so over last winter I had the transmission done an Continental said I needed a mechanical diode so sent it to them an had that done. Oh and its there 8+ converter if you were wondering what size it was. Now this year with the brake my best was a 1.55? I just don't understand. An the numbers I came up with are like 17%

HOLESHOT

Veteran Member
Feb 19, 2009
mesa,az
we have a 79 camaro 355 all iron sbc th400 footbraking at 2200 rpm it runs 11.60s at 118 id say your vert is wrong

Rich Schmidt

Veteran Member
Mar 27, 2010
Denville NJ
That convertor is slipping big time at the top end. I ran 29" tall slicks with 5.13's in my car for years with a 7500rpm small block,and would go thru the traps at 117 at 7200rpm in my mid 11 sec car,and that was with a POS convertor(see story below). Your old 60 foots were way better,and were typical of what you normally find on a mid to high 10 second car. I dont like the "mechanical diode" or spragless convertors ect. Those types of convertors typically soften for throttle stop cars that come on and off the throttle, or big cubic inch dragsters and tube chassis cars that need to react hard but hit soft. On a moderate power,heavy bracket car(500 to 750 hp and 3000-3600#) nothing beats a good old cast stator traditional convertor. No tricky dickey stuff with plates and nubs welded all over it. Just a donut with 3 lugs on it and a plate around the pump drive. Nice and simple.

How much can this mean? I ran 2 different "custom" convertors from one manufacturer and my car was a total dud for about 5 years. I started using these convertors when I started with one of my particular small block engine combos. The car was running mid 11's with a 1.70 60 foot and it wasnt spinning. Both convertors stalled exactly wheret hey were supposed to(one at 4500 the other at 5000) and both looked to be locking up at the big end. I threw the book at tuning what should have been a 575 hp small block,and nothing worked. Eventually I just murdered it with mountains of nitrous until I couldnt afford to fix it anymore. I built my bigblock and knew it was a solid 600hp piece. I dropped it into the car and it ran 11.40's with a 1.60 60 foot. I was ready to dump the whole mess into the metal shredder. I called a good convertor company(Coan) and had a custom convertor made by them. The gave me the same 5000 stall that I had with the other brand's "super duper indestructo megaconvertor" ,but when I opened the box it was a simple and lightweight 9" plain jane convertor with 3 nubs welded to it for the bolts. Nothing else. First run off the trailer the car went 10.60's with a 1.43 in the 60 foot.

Nuff said?

rustbucket79

Veteran Member
May 29, 2003
British Columbia, Canada
So what's the stall speed and how far away are they from maxing your current torque out? (tightening)

You don't have much info on your engine but given the MPH I'm guessing the engine doesn't want to be that high, RPM wise. One question, is it possible that the soft short times are caused by traction issues?

rustbucket79

Veteran Member
May 29, 2003
British Columbia, Canada
D72CamaroZ28 said:
Thanks for the help guys! Last year I was foot braking an had a 1.43 best 60 ft and decided I wanted a transbrake so over last winter I had the transmission done an Continental said I needed a mechanical diode so sent it to them an had that done. Oh and its there 8+ converter if you were wondering what size it was. Now this year with the brake my best was a 1.55? I just don't understand. An the numbers I came up with are like 17%

What's interesting is when I entered 117 MPH into this calculator http://www.wallaceracing.com/etcalc.php the ET's, 60' times were pretty darn close to what you achieved. Is it possible the environmental conditions are worse compared to last year? Engine not making the power?

D72CamaroZ28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 26, 2006
The Mile high City
Thanks for helping guys! And yes awesome story bud! Looked up conditions an they were actually better this year lol. My engine 440 small block Chevy 13.5 to 1 lunaiti 650 lift roller ported Dart Pro1 platnum 230cc heads ported Dart intake Pro Systems 1100 dominator carb. I have had some spinning issues but not every run. An it really confuses me when I was running 11.0 last year at 122 mph they install mechanical diode an now it runs 11.3-11.4 at 116-117.