Converting to electric cooling fans

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by muscl car, May 15, 2020.

1. Gavin Humes

Gavin Humes New Member

i have a dual electric fan setup on my 73 with a 406 sbc. it doesnt get over 100 here but i feel like with my setup (3000ish cfm) my car would never overheat. if both fans come on on an 80 degree day my temp will drop to thermostat temp in less than 60 seconds. i would however (personally) try to steer away from electric fans and see if what you have works for you with the mechanical fan. after just finishing my conversion it has been nothing but headaches along the way. if you decide to proceed its probably about 400-500 dollars in electrical stuff to make it run and cycle perfect. atleast it was for me lol

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Robert stuart Bell

Robert stuart Bell Rsb78LT

Flexalite recommends a minimum of 2800cfm for a 302 making 300-400hp. If you want to run just an electric fan I'd recommend something in the 3500-4000 cfm range for a 427.
    I tried running dual 12" electric fans at 2600cfm on my 400 horse 305, it didn't like it on days it got over 80 or in stop and go traffic so I now run a 7 blade fan with a thermal clutch and run a single 12" electric fan that only comes on when the cars not moving

3. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

Wow, $400-$500 in electrical stuff... what kind of set up did you do? inquiry mind wants to know lol.
    Also sorry to hear about your bad experience with electric fan conversion.

4. Gavin Humes

Gavin Humes New Member

thank you! lol my setup was engineered cooling products dual electric fans with radiator and shroud- cost about $400 ( this is not included in the 400-500 dollar electrical upgrade stuff)

various relays and electrical components= around $50

2 adjustable temperature sending modules that i would HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMEND. that way you can stage the fans one at a time very accurately to maintain a constant temp. = $140 for the pair

indicator lights to let me know what fans are running as well as a 2 pole bypass switch to turn on both fans manually incase of an emergency or failure- = $25

heavy duty low rpm high amp alternator
    120 amps at 700-800 rpm 200 amps at 2000rpm HIGHLY recomended- $200

- plumbing fittings to get sending units into coolant ports on my heads-$10

- 8-10 of those stupid non adjustable coolant temp switches that are super inacurate and hang up 3 out of 10 times- probably $150 in trying different brands to find one that actually worked, none of them did and i ended up using the modules i listed before. ( this is an avoidable cost if you use the modules)

finding that the guy that built my motor stripped both of my coolant access ports-
    priceless :) fixable but had to take off the headers and replace the exhaust gasket to also find he stripped three of the tappings in the heads for the exhaust :) again fixable but time consuming and annoying

KingofThings likes this.
  5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

glad i use a DCC controller.

6. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing! I see why it cost so much now lol.

My set up is the tried and true lincoln mark viii 2 speed fan, volvo relay and BMW sending unit.
    Using this set up again on my '73.

It never fails me but you know what they say, there's always a first to everything lol.

7. Gavin Humes

Gavin Humes New Member

best of luck to you! if the setup worked before for you i imagine it will work again! i heard alot of people using the lincoln mark fans. i might try that next time if there is a next time lol

8. KingofThings

KingofThings Veteran Member

Good grief what a twit that guy is!
    :p

9. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Megasquirt controls my fans for me. One perk of having EFI, I suppose.

10. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

What headaches? The only one I had was ml having to upgrade the alternator to have more output at idle
    Edit. Nevermind I saw your other post lol that's what I went through but I already knew it was coming. It works better than mechanical