Cool A-arms we have been working on at UMI

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by UMI Performance, Feb 26, 2017.

1. UMI Performance

UMI Performance Member

Hey All,

I just wanted to share some pictures and information on some new a-arms for the 2nd gen we have been working on here at UMI. These are what we are calling our race a-arms, they offer 5 degrees of caster in the lower a-arm and 10 degrees of caster when combined with our upper, all with out moving the spindle pin. They also feature our new quick change coilover mount, you can now easily change the shock and/or spring at the track in a matter of minutes with out breaking the ball joint loose. This idea came to us this past season we were trying many different shocks and springs at the track. I have a camber graph I will post too with 1/2" taller lower ball joint and 3/4" taller lower ball joint.

Anyways I am pretty excited about them and just wanted to share some of our progress and ideas we have been working on.

Happy Sunday!
    Ryan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. APEowner

APEowner Veteran Member

Nice! I like the coilover drop outs. I also appreciate your willingness to share geometry information so that folks can tell if your parts are compatible with the rest of our suspension design.

As an aside, I wish I'd known about your AC block-off plate before I made mine. That things a bargain.

3. UMI Performance

UMI Performance Member

Thanks for the reply. I guess I can see where some companies protect what they have done, I get it... we sometimes watch to give out a bunch of hard work we have done as well. But when it comes down to it, if the customer knows what they are looking for they need to know what they are getting. We are very happy with these so far. Thanks for looking!

4. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Cool! The only UMI parts I have right now are your tie-rod adjusters....but a little father down the line I want to upgrade my suspension with tubular arms so it's awesome you are coming out with this.

UMI Performance likes this.
  5. UMI Tech

UMI Tech Member

We've been having great feedback on our "standard" arms as well. They still provide much needed caster but work nicely with factory style springs and standard shocks (or of course the UMI Afco monotube, high rebound control shock). The first local customer was so excited he stopped at the factory on one of the sunny days last week. It was cool to see his car in person.

6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Very interesting and thanks for posting updates. quick question on the "standard" lower arms, do you locate the ball joint socket in a forward position to aid in the gaining of + caster. ?? Also, I am using 6-7* +caster now, and at almost the limit of my bump steer adjustment, do you have a kit that allows the full 10* +caster??

I remember you guys at the Syracuse Nationals autocross in 2014/15, your stuff handled great, I qualified 7th in the top 10 in 2015, but I think Bob Bertelsen drove your car and then beat me out, it was a silver 2000 ish Camaro.

7. UMI Tech

UMI Tech Member

Syracuse was a fun time. Glad you could be involved! Yes, I believe Bob won it in our car (ugh) by beating our Prez by 0.003. We may tease Ryan about that on occasion...

We moved the lower on the street arms 0.250" and the race arms 0.625" forward (and sideways the correct amount to preserve factory track width due to the angle of the lower pivot axis). Of course we can't account for everyone's car or spindle choice but it helps center the wheelbase correctly when using a caster inducing upper.

The race kit would allow 10 degrees caster.

ramey

8. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Thanks Ramey, I will be following closely on this progress.

9. djkaplan

djkaplan Veteran Member

These are some of the nicest uper arms I've seen so far! Great job.
    The one thing I'm curious about is why you choose not to include a bumper/bump stop in the arms design?

10. UMI Tech

UMI Tech Member

There should be bump stops on there. See post 1. Unless I'm missing something. Please advise.

thx

ramey