Correct Badging 1973 Camaro Z28 RS Type LT

McCune

Veteran Member
Aug 22, 2015
st.george utah
73RSZdrmnysho.jpg
Also only 73 LT Z's had A/C and a M23 muncie or t400

That is not correct. You could get a Z28 with AC the LT package had zero to do with it. Also the only 4 speeds for Z28 is a M20 or M21.

This is Rick's correctly badged LT/RS/Z28.

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
I think that's just the typical 70-73 RS grille (LH and RH sides). They all had small openings like the 70-71 standard grille. Not sure why GM didn't change the RS grille in 72 and 73 to match the standard grille with the large openings in those two years.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that certain areas of the RS grille warp (ex. hood latch release opening) and 70-71 standard grilles always have broken or chipped slats/fins/louvers. I don't ever recall seeing that happen to 72 and 73 standard grilles. The louvers are thicker and sort of like a "V" so that one louver is actually two louvers in the back, like an upper and lower.

Thanks for posting that! Learn something every day on here. I looked for a good while to find two good grille pieces for mine, and that was years ago.

BillyDean7173

Final Six
May 21, 2014
Hutto, TX
Learn something every day on here.
Ain't that the truth! Most recently I was schooled about wiper linkages and a few months ago, 70-71 armrest brackets vs. 72 and up. Always something to learn here. I just couldn't imagine trying to restore these cars in the days before Nasty. Assembly manuals and books only go so far. :bowtie:

EDIT: Also learned about the LH side mirror having a backing plate. Before that, I had only seen the RH backing plate. I learn more from this site than at my job, lol.

Last edited:

James D Schultz

Aug 5, 2019
View attachment 95277 View attachment 95278 View attachment 95279 View attachment 95280 I have a 1973 Z28 RS LT (title). Since I got the car I noticed inconsistencies with the bashing with other 1970-73 cars. Could someone please let me know what the correct Badging for my camaro? PS images linked below. :) (This is a true Z28 LT and Rally Sport)
Edit: I know that the Z27 aka SS package was replaced by the Type LT in 1973

You say this is a 73? GM did away with the split bumper mid year 72 to meet the new Federal Safety Bumper Standards.

Fume

Jul 4, 2019
You say this is a 73? GM did away with the split bumper mid year 72 to meet the new Federal Safety Bumper Standards.
It used a Urethane Nose if I am not mistaken as a "Bumper" with the Split bumper. 1974 had the sloped full bumper