Correct Gauge Temp Sender

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by camarolife78, Jul 12, 2015.

1. camarolife78

camarolife78 Veteran Member

Decided to do the boiling water test on my "aftermarket" temp sender since I am close to having the car ready to run and drive again. Took my new OREILLY temp sender home, with a jumper pack and wires. Hooked it up and when the water in the pot was boiling (roughly 210 F at my altitude), the gauge read in the read part of the gauge.

Sure enough just like what every one said, aftermarket senders are terrible. Wish I never would have lost my original GM. Anyways, after spending 2 hours on the internet reading here and there, I had a few forums, including some old thread here recommend this site : http://www.lectriclimited.com/mainpage.htm

Apparently they produce their senders to the original senders Ohm specs, so that they read correctly. If anyone else is having the same problem, this might be a place to go.

2. masck1

masck1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

the senders by application are great, they just did not make one for my 80 model. to get one to read correct have to put a resistor in line.

3. camarolife78

That sucks, seems like the 79-81 cars all get the bad end of everything

4. cbraswell

cbraswell Veteran Member

Had my gauges restored by GaugeMarks and ran into the exact same problem with mine with an aftermarket sender, only I hadn't stumbled across the threads about the senders so I thought my new gauge was acting screwy :screwup:. I just hooked up a mechanical gauge and never got back around to dealing with the sender.

5. camarolife78

I'll let ya know how this one works when I get it put in and running.

6. cbraswell

cbraswell Veteran Member

7. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't understand this statement? If your model came with a guage, there is replacement sender. You can use any yr, model guage as long as you use the SENDER FOR THAT GUAGE!!!!! not what car your putting it in.

Using a 1976 guage in your 1981 car.... You need a sender for a 1976

8. cbraswell

cbraswell Veteran Member

That's been the problem, the replacement senders are not accurate. There are plenty of posts on here about that, where ppl went through several different ones or ended up just putting a resistor inline.

I think what he was saying is that the company above does not make a sender for the 80 model Camaros. They only have listings for earlier models.

9. camarolife78

/\ This.

The aftermarket senders from Oreilly, autozone, napa, etc, read hot, when the car is not. The website I found carries an OEM reproduction that is correct and WORKS. They just do not carry one for a 79-81