Correct rear leaf spring decals for 70 z28?

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by Rosster, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

According to the data here 881 rear leafs are used. Does anyone know what the ID decal should look like and if there is a source to get a reproduction? Some have said there is an early build pe decal followed by a later part substitution Dy. Can’t find decals for either one.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  2. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

In 70, there was no decal or tag...the two-letter code and PN were stenciled onto the top front of the leaf springs in white. The AIM also refers to a color swatch on the front of the leaf spring eye, but I have seen positive proof of this on un-restored survivor cars. From what I've seen and read, there were two different leaf springs for the 1970 Z28...basically early and late, with the changeover occurring roughly early to mid-March. So, the stencil for your leaf springs would depend on your car's build date.
    IMG_0562.JPG

Rosster likes this.
  3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

4. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

Thanks all! Love this site for all the knowledge you all have.

5. l16pilot

Hi Dave - I am not 100% sure my stencil is accurate. I've ready through the post many times and M21RSZ28 said the code and PN were incorrectly stated in the 1970 Camaro spec sheet, but I have not been able to confirm what is correct. So, I used the PE code, (which I confirmed via early Z28 build sheets), and the original 481992 PN from the spec sheet.

I also have pics of Jon Haislip's 2nd design Z28 leafs...he said the code is DY even though the I can't make it out in the photo DY code 70Z Leaf Spring.jpg

I also have an original 5 leaf set of PB coded rear leafs for reference:

70 Leaf Spring Stencil.jpg

6. citrusz

citrusz Veteran Member

PE is the incorrect code for 1970 Z28 left springs. The build sheet on my car has the PE crossed out and replaced with DY. Hand written. The leaf springs had the letters DY hand written in yellow paint.

7. l16pilot

I respectfully disagree. During the change over from PE to DY, there are documented cases where DY was handwritten over the crossed out PE code, however this was a short period during the cross over. See below pic...no handwritten DY. I have others as well with the latest documented build sheet for an 03C Van Nuys car....no crossed out PE and handwritten DY. I have also shared a photo of DY coded springs and have personally spoken to the owner...the PN and DY code are stenciled and white. Not yellow.
    70 camaro build sheet1.jpg

8. citrusz

citrusz Veteran Member

With that said, the cut in must be very close to my Vans Nuys 04A which is crossed out. Not sure I can agree with your yellow paint comment, since my car was an untouched original 2 owner when purchased. Its possible the factory was hand writing the code, until the stencil was ready.

70lt1z28 likes this.
  9. l16pilot

Post pics. Anomalies such as yours adds to the overall documentation for restoring these cars.

70lt1z28 likes this.
  10. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dave Nelson and l16pilot like this.