Correct stripe placement

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by gs462, Jan 23, 2010.

1. gs462

gs462 Veteran Member

Guys I will be reapplying the correct stripes to my newly purchased Z, Is there a diagram of where theyre supposed to go on the body or can one of you original 79 owners help me out with some pics?

2. joer

joer Veteran Member

factory stripes

Here's some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. gs462

gs462 Veteran Member

Thanks how high is the stripe above the body line on the doors? are yours original?

4. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

I have the measurements somewhere if I can find them,but here is what I did with my new stripe kit was to put the front spoiler stripes on first as these will go only in one way to look correct without any crooked curves.Then lined up the door stripes to match the proper height of stripes to keep a straight line.The hood stripes will need to keep the gap the same on both sides.The nose Z28 decal needs to be 6 inches from the center crease and 1.181 inches up from grille area.Hope this helps out some.

Nose Decal location:This pic is from another member from NasyZ
    [​IMG]

Hood decals:
    [​IMG]

Rear Spoiler has a 1/4 inch gap from bottom of spoiler and center the Z28 logo,then align the side spoiler pieces.

[​IMG]

Ignore the 1980 Z28 model rear fuel door emblem as I now have a 79 one.

5. gs462

gs462 Veteran Member

Very good thanks you so much, P.S. you guys have gorgeous cars I love them both I'm thinking of going with the silver stripes on my black car.
    Love the white with silver, white was my first choice but I got such a good deal on the black car I couldnt say no that + it was a 4 speed which was a MUST.

Thanks again,

6. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

gs462,

I have the dimensions in decimal inches from the '79 Build manual. Send me a PM and I'll send you the relevant sheets from the manual.

John

7. Musmoke

Musmoke Veteran Member

I have an original pair of doors and measured 3 7/8 inch from the bottom of the door for the side strip.
    I have found that some reproduction decals are not the same width (thickness or height) as factory ones but still applied them at 3 7/8 inch from bottom of door.
    They look right.....then I apply the front fender decal to align with the door decal.
    Mike.

8. gs462

gs462 Veteran Member

Awesome thanks, could you measure from the body line? to the bottom of the stripe. Maybe even a pic? I really appreciate all the replies, My car is by no means a show winner but I do want the stripes on correctly.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010