Cost and Feasibility of Power Window Install on 79 Z28

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by Zachary, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Zachary

Zachary New Member

Greetings, I am looking into acquiring a 79 Camaro Z28, I would really like to have the vehicle to have power windows. Its a weird preference, I really just like how Chevy did them on that car. I have seen kits for sale around the internet but what would it take to actually do the install? Would I have to take it to the shop? How much would that cost? What hurdles would I have to cross to do it myself?

Thanks for any insight guys!

Zachary

2. balloonpilot

balloonpilot New Member

Zachary,

I do not have the answers you are looking for, however, I know they are on the threads as I remember reading all about it.
    There are wiring harnesses that you can buy to retrofit the set up for power windows as well as actuators and switches.

Try doing a search.

Good luck,

Harry

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

How handy are you?

It doesn't take much for tools to pull the door panel, remover the regulator and replace it with a power unit.

Your 79 doors should already have plugs in them where the flexible wiring boot attaches.

If you are reusing your door panels… You will want to get the plugs for the panel to cover the hole after you remove the cranks.
    (Unless you opt for the crank operated switches.)

I wouldn't try to use a cheap generic kit or one that mounts the motor on the door panel.

Get one made specifically for our cars. ($400-500 cost for everything)
    I have no personal experience with these kits but this kit has everything you need.

https://www.camarocentral.com/1970_1981_Camaro_Power_Window_Kit_Choose_Switches_p/dwn-624.htm

There are also writeups on using relays to get more power to the window motors for better operation.

Do your homework and search on window regulator removal to get a better idea of what you need to do to accomplish this yourself.