Cost for complete paint job

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Thunderkyss, May 30, 2020.

1. Thunderkyss

Thunderkyss Veteran Member

If my car required no body work how much should I expect to pay just for a paint job?

Is it unreasonable to expect I could get someone to do it for $3,500?

2. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

largely depends on the cost of materials and their hourly rate
    if you just cover the car in sealer, base, and clear it's not a whole hell of a lot.
    You may be able to get it done of that cheap, really just depends on the persons rate

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

If it’s just a repaint it can be done cheap, but if you are stripping coatings, expect some body work. Surprises do pop up

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

For good materials, not the entry level stuff, materials only would be close to 2 grand. If you took a completely stripped shell to someone that was prepped and taped and basically handed the guy the filled gun you may get out of there with a single-stage job with no stripes, metallics ,pearls etc. for 3500 depending in what part of the country you are. You are in Texas. I have heard of body shops across the body in Juarez and such doing pretty good work as the labor is so cheap. You may want to Google that.

5. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

35 years in the business and never had a car come in that needed no bodywork.Like 70LT1Z28 said 2 grand for paint and materials alone.

Smokey15 likes this.
  6. DrPepper

DrPepper Veteran Member

My buddy did the body work and paint on my '81. And I paid for all the materials, about 2K, and I helped do the dis-assembly and prep. And after the body and panels were ready for paint, he still found spots that in his opinion needed more attention before he'd put paint on them.
    So, IMO, if you're looking for a very good finished product, you'll have over 4K invested.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

This is why I think long and hard how much effort to put into my car. To take the shell down to bare metal and work it back up to a high dollar paint, youll never want to drive it in fear of a rock chip or a road debris. My plan is to strip down what needs to be stripped, body work and painted with good, but not the top shelf materials. I want to drive it...and race it on the course.

maverickmk likes this.
  8. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

For reference, I completely disassembled all of the bumpers, spoilers, headlights, taillights, rain gutters, side channels, etc. from my 1991 Camaro and then took it to be painted. The cost was $4,500 and took about 2 months.

--

9. twestrup

twestrup Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had my car painted Cortez Silver, all the materials cost me $3200.00. It was/is all PPG, basecoat clear coat. It was painted in California, which is the most expensive place to have it done.

Not too many people will quote anything but per hour rates. It kind of sucks but I understand what issues you can find when you actually get the paint off and see the years of poo that has accumulated. To have it done correctly will cost big bucks. I suggest taking a body class and at least prep it yourself.

93z and maverickmk like this.
  10. Willie Bifulco

Willie Bifulco Member

Whoever you choose to go with and at whatever $$$, you'll want to tuck away at least 20% of the estimate in contingency funds. It's been my experience that something ALWAYS comes up that wasn't anticipated. For example, if you're going to track the car, you might consider a clear covering material over the new paint for the front and frequent windshield replacements (they get pretty pitted during a race season) could add to your costs.

Good luck w/ the project.
    Willie