could use some help on picking a set of headers

blades

Nov 28, 2021
went back and checked a few things after thinking about this , and yes , I was using 4/7 swap in my firing order the only thing I can come up with is when I lift up and down on pushrod when im tightening poly to get 0 lash , verses rolling pushrod in finger tip, lash is different by 1/3 turn or so, resulting in a little tight by rolling pushrod in finger tips, then going 3/4 turn on poly, then when you set lock and tighten poly you get a smidge more, possibley 1/16- 1/8 turn, this time ill try lifting up and down on pushrod to get 0 lash, and only go 1/4 turn of preload, if it runs I might go back and adj to 1/2 turn

blades

Nov 28, 2021
went back and put a tape around damper and marked base circle using a dial ind to find max lift on intake and exhaust, intake was red 1/6], exhaust black 1/6 every 90 deg wrote next in firing order 8/5 and so on, I know anel but wanted to make sure, went back and adj valve lash by felling lash by moving pushrod up and down instead of rotating to feel drag, and 1/4 of lash setting, then set poly lock, might of ended up with a 1/6 after that, fired right up, no chatter in valve train sounds real good, being a roller I guess there really isn't a break-in like flat tappet, so being this thing sat for so many years, im going to replace master cylinder, calipers and wheel cylinders before I try to break rings in

blades

Nov 28, 2021
after a couple hundred miles on it, I pulled old headers and went with a set of Dougs d324 headers, went back and adjusted valves at 0 lash plus 1/2 turn, checked compression all 210-212, a little higher than what I thought it might have, but no pre detonation that I can hear even with a total of 38 deg all in by 2500-2700, and on 91 octane fuel, not a big fan of sbc but I have to say it runs pretty good

Zspoiler

Veteran Member
May 6, 2012
Federal Way, Washington
I have a set of Doug Thorleys D308 headers Of which I have ad Cerma-chromed on my 1979 Z-28 with a Weiand mini blower

Attachments

• image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts