Cowl tag paint question

Steve Kays

Veteran Member
May 11, 2021
Hello, I’ve seen some cowl tags on Camaro’s that are bare metal. Were cowl tags ever left unpainted from the factory? Or were they all painted the same semi gloss black as the firewall/cowl? Thanks for any info!

TTR230

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2020
Burlington, Ontario
Hello, I’ve seen some cowl tags on Camaro’s that are bare metal. Were cowl tags ever left unpainted from the factory? Or were they all painted the same semi gloss black as the firewall/cowl? Thanks for any info!
Having seen both as well, I've wondered this myself. The painted ones I've seen are always crazed, and I just assumed that cars with a painted tag were just clumsy resprays

Last edited:

ronzz572

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 8, 2007
imperial pa
At the factory. they are painted over with cowl paint. If they are not black, someone removed the paint.
As 2nd GenCrazy describes. Norwood cars had the cowl tags in place during the epoxy tank dip. So under it and under the surface of the black paint there will be red oxide primer. Vanuys hand sprayed the body sheet metal with gray. Primer and then black out everything. I'm sure the tag was in place when blackout occurred. So it should also be black.

Steve Kays

Veteran Member
May 11, 2021
As 2nd GenCrazy describes. Norwood cars had the cowl tags in place during the epoxy tank dip. So under it and under the surface of the black paint there will be red oxide primer. Vanuys hand sprayed the body sheet metal with gray. Primer and then black out everything. I'm sure the tag was in place when blackout occurred. So it should also be black.
Thanks for the info! That’s what I thought made the most sense. I have a 70 L34 that was built in Van Nuys. Did they only epoxy dip Norwood Camaros?

l16pilot

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 13, 2004
Hurlock, MD, USA
Jim,

On my 70Z, there was red oxide on the tag under the black-out, on the back side of the trim tag and on the sheet metal under the tag....but not 100%. I would say the tag was installed, but since it's not a "perfect seal", the ELPO primer seeped under the tag.

Mitch_Z

Mar 31, 2007
Detroit, MI
On my 70 Norwood car both corners of the cowl (including cowl tag) had body paint over the red oxide and then blackout over the body paint.
IMG_0123 (2).JPG

Latest posts