Cranks but won’t start/idle

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by cordero51, Aug 1, 2020.

1. cordero51

cordero51 Member

Among the many things going wrong with car lately lol I found myself stranded downtown nyc in the car as it decided to sputter and die. I had a lil adventure pushing it to the side of the road while I had angry New Yorkers cuss at me. But to the point I thought it was the fuel pump that went out on me because I couldn’t hear it anymore (it’s electric) and I could start the car but the second I took my foot off the gas it would die. I swapped out for a new electric pump and now I hear it on in acc and I also see the fuel going to the carb I have a see through fuel filter but the car won’t start now. It cranks and at best starts for two seconds and then dies. I checked for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and putting a screwdriver to see if it sparked and it did, I also had replaced the distributor a year ago. If I spray starting fluid into the carb the car will catch and start for the few seconds it burns it and then immediately die does this mean my carburetor is dirty/gummed up ? What are y’all a recommendations?

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds like it could be carb related.
    What kind of carb is it?

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

What year, engine. Is it stock?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. cordero51

cordero51 Member

1980 Camaro 350 fast burn crate engine, Holley 750. also, i noticed that if pull the throttle cable i did not see any gasoline fluid squirt up would that imply stuck needle valve? how hard is it to disassemble the carb or am i better off just buying a new one because right now i have the car parked outside and its a bit of a time crunch as there is street cleaning alternate side parking in nyc

**i havent had the chance to check the electrical issue about the lights in regards to the post i created prior as this became priority

KingofThings likes this.
  5. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Sound like no gas, disconnect line turn on key and see if your pumps got pressure out the line or if it’s buzzing it’s prolly working

KingofThings likes this.
  6. cordero51

cordero51 Member

you mean disconnect the fuel line to the carb? i have a see-through fuel filter right before it and i can see fuel pushing through it and I just replaced the pump with a new one

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Robert stuart Bell

Robert stuart Bell Rsb78LT

Vacuum leak?
    Does the carb have fuel in the float bowls?
    Do the accelerator pump nozzles spray if you pump the gas?
    If it's got spark and fuel it could be getting too much air,

How long have you been running that set up?
    Needle and seat is usually good unless you let it sit for 6 months with fuel in the bowls.
    Holleys are pretty simple to take apart, don't even need to take the bowls off to change the needle and seat.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

I had a similar issue with my challenger

I checked for fuel and it was sending fuel because I disconnected the engine so it turned out to be a vacuum leak

check for vacuum leaks

9. Camaro Tim01

Camaro Tim01 Veteran Member

You said :
    1. i noticed that if pull the throttle cable i did not see any gasoline fluid squirt up would that imply stuck needle valve?

2. i have a see-through fuel filter right before it and i can see fuel pushing through it and I just replaced the pump

Problems in the carb, if youve taken one apart before and know whats what then remove the top half and look for something stuck
    if you've never taken one apart before, buy a new one and replace it....

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

You can try tapping on the needle area with the plastic end of a screwdriver to see if the needle/flloat unsticks. If that doesn't work, you can remove the float sight plug to see if fuel comes out. You might have to shake the car. If there's no fuel, then the float/needle/seat is stuck. The front bowl can come off with 4 screws to see why it's stuck. Also, is there a filter in the fuel inlet? That's another possible problem.

KingofThings likes this.