Cranks but won’t start/idle

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by cordero51, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

How is the fuel pressure? When you listen for the fuel pump, is it a healthy buzz sound or weak. I might not be getting the proper voltage and not producing the required pressure. Good luck!

KingofThings likes this.
  2. cordero51

cordero51 Member

Yeah I don’t have fuel getting to the carb it looks like, I removed the sight plug and shook the engine While the fuel pump was running and no fuel came out I removed the valve needle I believe is the top screw that sits on the carb and tried adjusting but it didn’t make a change. I tired to remove the front bowl but it looked like I started to wrap/bend the metal fue lines that go to the front and back bowls of the carb so how do I properly remove them without wrapping them. Thanks

KingofThings likes this.
  3. cordero51

cordero51 Member

Also when I moved the throttle cable manually no gas squirted out of the nozzle unless I manually pressed down on the plunger that the accelerator springs rest on. Is that a separate issue or part of it ?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Robert stuart Bell

Robert stuart Bell Rsb78LT

You don't need to take the bowl off to change the needle and seat.
    Not sure what carb your running, if it's a steel line with threaded ends take it off, if it's the straight tube going from bowl to bowl pull hard and straight or spray it with wd40 or carb cleaner to lubricate the o rings.

The needle and seat will have a Phillips screw on top of a 5/8's nut, loosen the screw a touch then loosen the nut till it comes all the way out, check the size and replace, make sure to put both gaskets back on it too

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

What if he has something in the bowl? I'd want to see what's going on in the bowl. It's a 5 minute job.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Z-Life

Z-Life Member

Since its not squirting fuel when you pull the throttle then you may have a blocked needle, bad float, or a hole in the accelerator pump. Has he car sat for a long period, it could be all gummed up from bad gas. No they are not too hard to rebuild just dont over tighten stuff. Get the right kit, some carb cleaner and go for it. If you can do a brake job you can rebuild a Holley carb. now a rochester is a different story a little more complicated, Holley has 100 parts, rochester has 300 parts.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings Veteran Member

If the carb has a very small filter of any kind right where the supply enters the carb that may be the, or some, of the issue.
    I had a maddening issue once where I could rev the engine to oblivion while sitting still but under a driving load it would quit. Did everything I thought possible...and spent too much money only to finally wonder about the last possible issue. The steel fuel supply line from the fuel pump was restricted by build-up of gunk at a factory formed tight 90* turn!
    NO more tight 90* turns for me! Sweeps only.

Z-Life likes this.
  8. Terrys75LT

Terrys75LT New Member

There is probably a bronze zintered style filter right where the fuel line goes into the carb. It's probably plugged up.

9. cordero51

cordero51 Member

** Resolved
    so it ended up being that I had pinched the fuel line that came after the new fuel pump that i had installed. i noticed after a few tries of me trying to start the car i couldn't see any fuel getting to the fuel filter anymore so I knew I had to recheck the pump and found the culprit. thanks to all that helped

KingofThings likes this.
  10. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Congrats on solving your problem. Now there’s a few other ones on here we’re trying to diagnose.