Crate Engines (low 400hp range)

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by cgibsong002, Jun 10, 2011.

1. cgibsong002

cgibsong002 Veteran Member

Hey guys. Finally saved up enough money and am looking to drop in a new motor. I'm looking for a crate motor for around $3000. I'm hoping to break into the 400 HP range. Do any of you guys know some good sellers? I'm not looking at the standard GMPP, Blueprint, etc. I'm looking for sellers who are building their own engines as I'm hoping to strike up a deal/barter for the engine.

Thanks!

2. TX78Z28

TX78Z28 Veteran Member

Year One has a 400hp motor for like 2999?

3. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

what do you have to trade or barter I have a friend who has a few motors for sale. a few 383's a couple of 350's or he can build you a custom unit.

Michael

4. cgibsong002

I guess I should ask the experts since I have the chance... Would around 400 hp get me in the low 13's and possibly 12's with new tires and other upgrades? Its a 3 speed auto, new 3.76 posi, most likely patriot headers and will have a pypes xchange system.

Also, what else will I need with the engine? Is a new carb immediately necessary? Its got one of those Holley remanufactured quadrajets. What else? Water pump? I'm just learning about engines so I don't really know exactly what I need here.

5. Tirefryer

Tirefryer Veteran Member

you will need a 3k stall converter, sticky tires, and a holley 750dp. With 400hp that should get you low 13's high 12's depending on the weight of your car.

6. cgibsong002

Yeah I know I'll need stickies and other things to get near 12's, but I'll worry about that later when I'm actually racing and have more money. But lets talk about what I NEED to get the new motor in. What's that stall converter? Is that and the carb both necessities? Anything else?

7. cgibsong002

Ah, forgot to mention.. This is just an occasional driver and I've never raced before. I'd like to learn to race once its done but its basically just a street car.

edit: sorry for the double post.

I've been doing a lot of reading tonight and it seems many people advise against the ebay and other smaller places. Makes sense.. get something with a good warranty. From what I've seen, I've got three good options that I've found: ATK engines, the Year One mentioned above, and maybe the 383 with aluminum heads from summit or jegs. ATK seems pretty nice. Only thing is there seems to be a gap between the 350HP $2500 motor and the more expensive $3500+ motors. Wonder if he could do something in the middle. What do you guys think?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011