Crate motor recommendations needed

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by maddart, Apr 29, 2015.

1. maddart

maddart Veteran Member

I want to get a crate motor for a 79Z28 and would like some recommendations. I have a budget of 4k and have looked at companies like blueprint, year one, and phoenix engines. Have read good and bad with all of these. Looking for 400hp/400ftlb , i also have a company called AES in elk grove IL local to me that also sells a crate. Does anyone have any input on this. I side toward a vortec engine with roller cam/rockers.

2. trott

trott New Member

I purchased a crate motor from a place called Tri Star engines out of Wisconsin. so far very happy with it.

http://www.tristarengines.com/

3. Devildog

Devildog Veteran Member

A buddy of mine recently got a 350-375HP crate motor from Summit for his 67 Camaro. Looks like a real nice piece with aluminum heads and a roller cam. He paid under $4k and Summit also offered free shipping too.

4. Chris71RS

Chris71RS Veteran Member

An Island called "long" in the north atlantic
  5. trott

trott New Member

Here's the dyno sheet from my Tri Star motor. I added a few extra's on it so I was a little over my budget.
    [​IMG]IMG_1525 by r2010ssphil, on Flickr

6. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

7. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

WHEN I buy a crate engine it'll be a Blueprint from Summit or Jegs

8. owen1980

owen1980 Veteran Member

If I did not have money wrapped up in the machine work and kit on my engine I would have gone this route. They send you the dyno sheet with the motor to prove it hit 400HP I have not seen a better deal on paper.

9. ssenay72

ssenay72 Veteran Member

I have a zz383 gm motor which was " ok " I guess. But noticed a lot of valve train noise and come to find out that's common on these. Seems like more complaints about the zz383 motor are coming up lately so I would steer clear of that one. I do have a 427 from whites performance in my 81 Camaro that has been good so far. Although that was way more money.

10. 70ZFORME

70ZFORME New Member

Blueprint 383

I have been building cars and motors all my life. The original 350 in my car was just about wore out. It had been rebuilt twice and the only thing that remained was the original crank turned 30 under and the pink rods. Smoked like a train and it was already punched 30 over. 180K hard miles. I was doing a restomod so I bought a Blueprint 383 last month thinking for the price 440hp sounded awesome and easy too. Today with 300 miles on the new motor i heard the awful bottom end rattle when approaching a stop sign. Went straight home and drained the oil and I have never seen anything like it. It has so much metal in it that it is silver. I haven't contacted blueprint yet but it is only a month old and should be under warranty. I am sick, I followed their instruction to the tee and even used 15w40 oil that they recommended. 300 babied miles never above (3500 rpm) and I have 8lbs of oil pressure and I have changed the oil 3 times. Intial break in was fine, oil was clean. First 300 miles were great, and the engine started to come alive at around 2800. I was excited and couldn't wait to let loose. According to there manual after 500 miles you can change the oil and let her eat. I changed it today and it is toast. I have a hard time recommend them at this time. But maybe it was a fluke. Ill let you know how the warranty claim goes.