• The Forum will be unavailable on March 27, 2023 from 8:AM to 12:00 PM EST for maintenance.

Credit Cards

bfmgoalie

Veteran Member
Jun 14, 2008
Gansevoort, New York
Damn, once again, someone hacked my credit card. It all started when I lived in Florida. I went for a motorcycle ride with my daughter down near Cocoa Beach. Needed some gas, so I pulled in to a Wa Wa....or whatever the name was. I decided to ask my daughter how to use a credit card to get gas. She showed me. I checked my card the following day and I was charged $165 for gas in Tampa. Cancelled the card.

When I moved back to New York in 2019, I wasn't here for a week and both bank accounts got hit for some pretty big bucks. A few days later, a credit card got hit. New banks accounts and credit cards.

Has been going pretty well and I check out my balance this morning on a credit card, and boom, I got hit for $65. I'm not even going to ask how this hacking stuff works, but is there any way to avoid it. About the only thing I use the card for are an occasional dinner but mostly on Ebay purchases.

ssupercoolss

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2015
PA
Oddly enough, i got a notice from Norton that a CC was being opened in my name, the day after i traded in my old Tacoma on a 2020, and i used toyota credit.

I use my CC for like almost every purchase these days, since my paycheck is direct deposit. I have never had anything fradulant show up on my card, i guess im lucky in that aspect, but i do also think your CC info isnt that hard to get a hold of. I knew of a gas station where people were repeatedly getting thier card skimmed. the safest way to buy gas is to use cash of course, or go inside and pay with CC. The likelyhood there is a skimmer inside is low. Also, i try to use paypal as much as possible, rather than having to type my CC # in on even the most legit websites. There are interesting ways for people to get your CC # by just getting near it, and probably even just some random number generator getting lucky.
I have set up text alerts on both my CC's, and i only carry one, the other sits in a file at home, so whenever more than a penny is spent on either one, i get a text. i try to set up as much of that kind of stuff as i can with the financial stuff.

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
There is no way to stop it other than cancelling all credit cards and pulling your money out of your bank accounts. One helpful trick is to have your bank accounts in a different bank than where your credit cards come from. The fewer links there are between bank accounts and credit or debit cards., the harder it is to get access to your money.
Places like Ebay and Amazon are high risk because they sell products from everyone on earth. When you buy from Amazon, you don't pay Amazon, you buy from the seller. So, your credit card information might be going directly to China to pay the bill.

The only way to be 100% safe is to use cash. Buy locally only and pay with cash. Cash has never been hacked.

BonzoHansen

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Scott from Hamilton, NJ
Non issue. The cc company will take care of it, get you a new card and number in a few days. Cc eats the issue. Zero real impact to the cc holder, maybe some automatic payments need updating.

And that's why I never use a debit card. Even if the bank takes care of it, it takes a few days and in the meantime the checking account is drained. It's just a bigger pita

EVILFACE

Veteran Member
Sep 6, 2013
Yukon, OK
Ebay and Amazon pay the sellers. The sellers never see the payment information. I know because I sell on those platforms.

Also I use a credit card for all purchases. If something happens, the CC company takes care of it and I get a new card and new number. My bank account is fine.

73Z L92

Veteran Member
Jan 25, 2011
Carlos, MN
My company card was hacked about 6-7 years ago. I'm 99% sure it was done by the waiter at dinner. I gave him my card to pay for dinner and he copied the card info. The next morning I got a call from Visa asking if I was buying a flat screen in NYC. I said no I was in Atlanta. Cancelled the card right away. Got a new one a few days later.

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
I've had two credit cars have fraudulent transactions, in 2008 and in 2014. The 2008 incidents happened shortly after a trip to Florida where the tour company had you hand enter your cc information on a paper form. That's when I think it was compromised.

The second time I think it was a cc reader installed at a card reading self serve gas pump. In both cases the CC company reversed the charges.

For the last several years I have a CC that I use exclusively for on line purchases or when I have to give out the CC information to someone. That way, I'm not stuck for a CC while that matter gets straightened out. And interestingly enough, I've never had a fraud issue with that card.

And I ALWAYS use the PIN feature, never tap. When we visit the US I'm still surprised how many places where you still have to give your card to someone and they run away with it or you have to sign (no PIN). Here in Canada, the service person or waiter always brings you a wireless machine for the transaction or there's a machine at the checkout that you can use a PIN and it's been that way for quite a number of years.

Todd80Z28

Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 11, 2002
Northern VA
Damn, once again, someone hacked my credit card. It all started when I lived in Florida
Roughly every 2nd trip I make to FL it seems, I get fraud on my credit card. Who knows where- I assume gas station skimmers and/or when I pay at restaurants (and my card disappears with the staff).
but is there any way to avoid it.
Not your money, not your problem... It's way better to have that fraud tied to a credit card, rather than on your debit card.
I will say, though, that I think the "tap to pay" function of the newer cards uses a one-off code that makes it much harder to hack. The chip read function is same, I think. It's the magnetic strip swipe that's the easiest to hack.

Latest posts