crush sleeve vs. solid spacer

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Brian Callahan, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Brian Callahan

Brian Callahan Veteran Member

I've heard of guys replacing the crush sleeve on the drive pinion with a solid spacer and positively retaining the pinion nut. How does this work? Also, how do you retain the nut?

2. henry1088

henry1088 Veteran Member

And how would you know what size spacer to use? Because this is something I was thinking about doing. Torque specs and stuff like that as well please [​IMG]

3. craggar

craggar Veteran Member

I don't know of anyone doing it with a 10 bolt but some diffs are that way.I thought the pinion nut was a lock nut?

4. Eric

Eric Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm sure it can be done- but would necessitate removing a crushed crush sleeve and measuring it's thickness to determine the proper solid spacer size- the point of the crush sleeve is to be able to adjust pinion depth at time of installation to get the gear mesh correct- so as long as you're using the same gears as when you took the crush sleeve out (intact) I don't see why this would be a problem.

5. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

This spacer has nothing to do with the pinion depth. The solid spacer is made a little thinner than needed and shims are added untill the proper preload is reached. The reason GM used crush spacers is because it makes assembly on the assembly line quicker. The 9" Ford Daytona pinion housing, early 8 3/4 Chrysler and most of the Dana rear ends use a solid spacer. The solid spacer is suppose to hold the pinion bearings in place better than a crush spacer because the pinion nut torque can be much greater. Once the pinion bearing preload is set with a solid spacer you can adjust the pinion depth without having to reset the bearing preload.

------------------
    '69 RS/SS396 Pro Street
    427 4 speed 9"
    Byars Performance
    High Performance Drive Train Parts And Service
    www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

6. Brian Callahan

I'm thinking serviceability, not performance. If this can avoid the Gorilla torque needed to tighten the pinion nut, and having to order a new crush sleeve every time you take the pinion apart, that's what I'm after.

7. third_edition

third_edition Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 12 bolt posi now and I happened across a good article in the Feb 2004 issue of "CHEVY RUMBLE" (Buckaroo communications). They use a solid spacer from Ratech.

8. big gear head

The solid spacer is reusable. If you plan on taking the pinion out often then it would be the best thing to use. You should still torque the nut to about 250 foot pounds with the solid spacer.

------------------
    '69 RS/SS396 Pro Street
    427 4 speed 9"
    Byars Performance

9. Brian Callahan

So, just to double check here: if we used a solid spacer instead of a crush sleeve, then we could completely disassemble the rear end and re-assemble it without taking any bearing preload or tooth wear pattern measurements? That is, assuming we put all the various shims back where we found them and used the same ring and pinion.

We have at least three separate projects we need to do that require disassembling the rear end. I don't want to spend $200 each time to have it re-set up.

10. big gear head

Yes, that is correct. If you change anything then you will have to go through the normal set up procedure, but if you put all of the same parts back in the original location then you will be fine.

------------------
    '69 RS/SS396 Pro Street
    427 4 speed 9"
    Byars Performance