• The Forum will be unavailable on March 27, 2023 from 8:AM to 12:00 PM EST for maintenance.

curious on price of installing 70 bow style headliner

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
I have been getting quotes to do bow type headliner in my 1970 camaro.

I bought perforated headliner , and extra material for the visors, none of the upper interior is installed, my request was to install the headliner only. Ill install sail panels, and pillar covers.

No Glass installed.

1st quote: 750
2nd quote : 550
3rd Quote :450

These quotes seem pretty high. I have been considering doing it myself, but I want the headliner to look right. Do these quotes seem in the ballpark?

73Z L92

Veteran Member
Jan 25, 2011
Carlos, MN
I wouldn't pay any of those prices. Does the headliner have slots? for the headliner bows? Maybe too late now but you should of marked each bow for position wise front to back and the holes in the frame.
With no glass in it makes the job easier. Are the plastic clips in the roof that hold the head liner bows clip into in good shape? They tend to get brittle and break as you try to push the new head liner into them.
The first one I did I was "coached" by a fellow car club member. He sat in a chair with a cold one and told my what to do. I wanted to do the work myself.
There must be a ton out y-tube videos out there on this.
You will need a can of contact cement.

rotinrob

Veteran Member
Oct 2, 2018
Not the funest of jobs with the car on its' wheels, so wouldn't doubt the quotes depending on the market you are in. I have personally done several and they can be time consuming. Maybe ask the shop if they will knock some off for not putting up the peripherals like the sunvisor mounts, the dome light and the seat belts and do those yourself. Otherwise it really isn't that bad of a job just literally a pain in the neck, unless you have really long arms and can lay on the floor and reach the headliner. All of the ones I put in look really nice, even after some 40 years for the Monte Carlo, Camaro has only been in for about 7 or so now. If you do it yourself start in the middle and work toward the ends and out. I use a large T pin to find the holes for the peripherals because you can root around through the perforations and not make new holes. Good luck the no glass makes it somewhat easier, I might do it for what was quoted but I wouldn't pay someone those prices to do it either.

rotin

73Z L92

Veteran Member
Jan 25, 2011
Carlos, MN
Another thing I do is screw in the screws for the visors rear view mirror(if its not glued to the windshield) and dome light. Then once you get the head liner done you easily find the bump of the screw heads.

69venture

Veteran Member
Nov 11, 2015
Greenville SC
My 72 had an aftermarket headliner plastic board in it when I got. It was done terribly. I decided to not try and reuse it and did as you are so I bought preproduction bows, clips and material. After a little research on line and watching every tube video I could find I decided to try and do it myself as the material itself was pretty inexpensive and if I screwed it up it was not a big lose. I bought some spring clips from Harbor Freight and spray adhesive (3M 90 follow instructions) and gave it a shot. I was surprised at how it came together. Took an evening to assemble and get clipped in and an hour or so stretching and pulling. I had no glass and no other interior in the car. The awkward position and working over head was the PITA.. but rewarding it in the end. Hope this helps.
Head liner.jpg

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
I wouldn't pay any of those prices. Does the headliner have slots? for the headliner bows? Maybe too late now but you should of marked each bow for position wise front to back and the holes in the frame.
With no glass in it makes the job easier. Are the plastic clips in the roof that hold the head liner bows clip into in good shape? They tend to get brittle and break as you try to push the new head liner into them.
The first one I did I was "coached" by a fellow car club member. He sat in a chair with a cold one and told my what to do. I wanted to do the work myself.
There must be a ton out y-tube videos out there on this.
You will need a can of contact cement.
all the bows are the same length.

Clips are original. I thought about buying new ones, but ones I have are in pretty good shape. may buy new ones anyways.

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
On a related topic, I found out that the dome light is 1 year only. Ordered from Camaro central. Apparently its 71-81, not 70.

I looked at Classic Industries, they have one for 1969-1970, is that the correct one?

20230114_153234.jpg

20230114_153318.jpg

20230114_153344.jpg

grzewnicki

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 9, 2009
Gordon from Jacksonville Fl
Prices have shot up, I paid around $125-150 to have mine done, that was 10 years ago. I can't imagine doing a car now, wages have not kept pace with inflation so your total costs are much higher. Tons of YouTube videos out there, I just checked my bookmarks and cannot find the one I had saved, but like said above, the headliner material is relatively inexpensive so might be to your benefit to try it yourself. Oh and the advice about putting ALL the screws in is great, Bfmgoalie just posted a thread needing dimensions for dome light since his installer didn't leave the screws in. Having a lot of the springy hand clamps is necessary (Harbor Freight perfect for getting these cheap) and maybe having a friend standing by would be a good idea.

Latest posts