Custom tuning

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 75Maro, May 26, 2020.

1. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

So I’ve got a $150 “start up” tune currently running my 5.3 with a small cam and headers etc.
    I’ve read enough on here to know that there are some very capable tuners on this forum that could probably get me a good mail order tune. I’m located in the Dallas TX area and was wondering if anyone could point me towards a member who can help me out with a custom tune specific to my car.

TIA

2. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

https://www.patgtuning.com/
    This guy is well known for his tunes. He only does LS tunes. Email or call him with all specs of the engine. Cam specs, anything else added.
    He did great job on my son's L96 with rather large cam.
    You will need access to HP tuners or EFI software.
    Sure others will chime in. Good Luck!!

75Maro likes this.
  3. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

Thanks I’ll reach out to him but I don’t currently have EFI live or HP.

4. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

Anyone else here know or do custom tuning

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I would take advantage of your location and take the car to Texas Speed and Performance in Georgetown, TX. A start-up tune and a mail order tune are what I see a waste of money...Pay the money for a real dyno tune by LS experts. I have had mail order tunes from infamous Frost and it sucks too.

flht99b and 72BIGBLOCK like this.
  6. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

That’s crazy Frost is supposedly the man when it comes to GM tuning.... interesting

7. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Heard and read bad things about Frost tunes also.

8. badazz81z28

When it comes to chassis dyno, probably. However mail order tunes are just not great. Its really impossible to dial in a tune with so many variables. They really upload a tune based on an engine that's most similar to yours. Most cased good enough to run, but it doesn't get all the bugs taken care of. My Frost tune had idle hang and difficult hot start-up. Simple changes in the idle airflow and throttle crack but still annoying. Playing the back and forth shipping with a tuner is wasted money.

Something new is virtual tuning...You get your own HP tuner and someone looks at data and makes adjustments for you all online.

9. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

Go local because to tune your car specifically, the tuner needs to have a wideband on it or they are making good guesses. Ask around at clubs or shows, don’t rush it. Use the time to think of some questions to ask and to identify what you are looking for in a tune. Some thoughts:
    - will the tune be locked afterwards is a big one.
    -If it’s a swap, a lot of things come to mind on if it’s a gen iv or gen 3, DBW/dbc etc.
    -is the ecm and trans from the Same donor vehicle?
    -gauges working correctly
    -VVT or DoD motor, other mods, etc
    -fan temp
    -ac
    Now that I have hp tuners and was able to read my mail order tune from frost against a bunch of other tunes, it was a major waste of money in the neighborhood of $400 to give him. Might be different story if you can show up at his shop.
    - also be aware tuning is kind of a pay as you go scheme. Couple of hundred $ here and there if you like to fix any of the aforementioned items that may not have been discussed or make mods along the way Nothing wrong with it but, unless you stick with the same tuner who has already licensed your file, you’ll have to buy credits each time if you change tuners. Aftermarket systems have an advantage here over OEM in the interface Doesn’t need a license; however, the OEM ecms are very capable.
    So far above is just from messing around with hptuners and looking at a lot of files.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  10. badazz81z28

The pros spend the money on unlimited VINs, the not so professionals will try to charge you for the credits to tune your VIN. Stick with the pros.